Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:14:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  To help or not to help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To help or not to help  (Read 3753 times)
areadshaw
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:52:28 AM »

I've got a bobwhite egg or two that is cracked, chick is nearly out, and he's been hanging there for 24 hours. He's peeping and everything, still breathing, etc. Should I help him out?

Abby
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:03:09 AM »

If it's been almost out for that long, I would probably help it. It may be stuck to the membrane of the eggshell. A word of caution: Once removed from the high humidity of the hatcher, the membrane will stick to the chick almost immediately, therefore you must work very fast. The membrane is tougher than you may think and is like super glue on the chick.

Good Luck

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »

I've got a bobwhite egg or two that is cracked, chick is nearly out, and he's been hanging there for 24 hours. He's peeping and everything, still breathing, etc. Should I help him out?

Abby

So, what did you end up doing and how did it go?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
areadshaw
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:04:35 AM »

I've helped more than one now. It seems the longer they are in the incubator, the weaker they are, the more fragile the shell, and the thicker the membrane. I think they've all made it, but I just put the last two in the brooder, so we'll see!

Thanks!
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:46:52 PM »

I've helped a few out. I waited too long on two and they were dead already. One from the first batch I helped was too weak and the others picked it to death. One from my second batch was stuck to the membrane but I isolated it from the rest after helping it out and it's ok now.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:53:15 PM »

It's one thing when the membrane dries onto a strong, obviously healthy chick; another when the chick would have otherwise not even started breaking out of the shell (only pipped or something like that) and you break open the shell for it (an obviously weak bird). Whether or not you help 'em out it dependant upon the individual situation.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 05:28:48 AM »

Yea depending on the situation. For me...Im just running a small scale hatchery as a hobby so I try to hatch out the most i can.

Again you know they are trying to break out when they start making the circle pattern. Keep an eye on them and if 4-8hrs...I would help them out. Sometimes they just dont make it far enuff with the circle pattern and in turn is difficult for them to break out. Or as the others mentioned...they take too long and the membranes dry out making it hard to break out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »