Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Sears Super Hatcher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sears Super Hatcher  (Read 26213 times)
Gunner63

« on: September 10, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »

I have someone that wants me to come get a Sears & Roebuck Super hatcher.  I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these.  He says it works, holds 600 chicken eggs.  I have scoured the web only to find a picture of just a catalog ad from 1953.  Its about 200 miles roundtrip to get this baby, and was wondering if I should just save the pennys for a 1502 this fall or spend the gas money and go get it?

Bill

SMack dab in the middle of the mitten
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »

I don't know anything about them, but I do know that I'd be on the road to go get it!  :wink:  Of course, what does "works" mean?  I've seen furnaces that "worked", but the outer case was completely rusted away and the only thing holding what was left up was the fan cage resting on the ground! 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunner63

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »

Well I went and got this baby.  What a gem everything electrical seems to be working okay, I will take and post some pics soon,  I cant find any info online, so I might need some explanation on the electrical system for us electrically challenged.  It has a wafer thermo, and was wondering if an elctronic thermo can be installed in its place.  Pics coming soon.

Bill

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »

See if this will help you out any?:

https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/THERMOSTAT%20WIRING.pdf

Take note of the warnings that incorrect wiring will destroy the electronic thermostat.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:01:59 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunner63

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 07:03:38 AM »

Heres a few pics of the baby.  Everything seems to be operational.  I will have to play with the wafer to see if it is going to hold temp  its been sitting at 102 for 8 hours now.  The hygrometer/thermometer will be replaced and a little work to the humidity pan.  I do have one question, the fan has a vent opening which has been almost shut, when / do I need to increase the size of the intake airhole?

Bill

Gunner63

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:17:25 AM »

Rest of the pics

Gunner63

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 07:22:49 AM »

pics

Gunner63

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:24:38 AM »

pic

Gunner63

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 07:25:20 AM »

pic

WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »

A lady I do plumbing work has that exact hatcher and has the best hatches I have ever seen. She uses it as an incubator as well by just hand turning them 3 times a day. She gets a 100% hatches most the time (after culling the infertile eggs after day 10). By being wood it holds humidity really well and also the temp. The drive was very well worth it in my opinion, very nice find. :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »

I'd get rid of it if I where you.  Looks to be infested with termites and that dreaded varnish that is known to carry all sorts of avian diseases. Not to mention all the PCB's in the controls. :eek:

Tell ya what........I'll trade ya a GQF Super Duper Deluxe 12-0-something ratite hatcher and a Ultra Collapsable XR brooder, 2-door, recently rebuilt, with a new element  for it?...............even up!!!

:grin:

Very nice.  I'd have to set that up in my living room. :wink:

Thanks for the pics.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:27:14 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Gunner63

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 09:29:53 AM »

The better half says incubator???  I was thinking more along the lines of using it as the kitchen table.  Just throw a few bar stools around it.
  Its been holding a pretty good constant 100 right now.  The old cord though kinda scares me, cant find any frays.  I would imagine those heater coils will keep the local power company happy LOL  I like that simplistic turning system, just pull or push in the screens on the trays. 

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »

I don't know how that thing is wired.......but.......I did notice the low voltage transformer mounted beside the thermostat.  That could change things alot as far as installing a electronic thermostat.  There appears to be some sort of contactor in there that the transformer is operating?  My guess would be that the low voltage is just run through the thermostat to keep the load from the higher voltage from running through the thermostat switch.

Gunner63

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 10:45:31 AM »

Gave it a good cleaning this morning, dissenfected everything from head to toe. Momma even broke out the Pledge for the outside.  Even if it didnt function, this thing sure is an epample of workmanship and beauty.  Its hard to show how deeply colored the wood is especially now that is been rubbed.  Set a butter bowl of water in it to see where are moisture level will be.  I am betting its going to take a few to re-hydrate the wood.

Gunner63

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »

Does anyone know where if at all possible I could get some instructions for this thing, I know its a long shot, but I cannot find anything related to instructions for this on the web.  I would be happy with just photocopied or scanned copies if possible.

Thanks
Bill

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »