Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:36:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  11-07-08 Feast for the Beast, in Mankind
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11-07-08 Feast for the Beast, in Mankind  (Read 25773 times)
ode2god
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 11:25:50 AM »

Well, no fancy cakes for me this year, but thanks for the shout out with the turkey cake from last year... Got another comment on that today too... I'll be cooking this year. Turkey (marinated in a mixture of brown sugar, apple juice, & cider vinegar), baked corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, noodles, green bean casserole, cheese ball, rolls, etc.  The usual I guess. But i try to find a different recipe for at least the turkey every year. Oh, pumpkin roll. Can't forget that.
Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Stay warm. It's been downright cold here although "they" (whoever "they" are...) say its gonna warm up some. To at least above freezing... Bon appetit!!!
hey put up the actuall recipe for that turkey ..id love to try it ...please?
ode2god
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »

Gongrats on the comming new arrival!!!!
 As far as help from the daughters goes, HUM I have one daughter who is a baker she loves to bake and the other daughter is a photographer ( so in short I have a BAKER and a PICTURE TAKER ha ha)
The kitchen is mine but they will help with the dish up and the t transportation of the dinners to allow me time to tend the persons at the house..

By the way do you know if it's a BOY or a GIRL yet?????

I'm hatching baby Georgia Giants today so far about 60 have hatched and on Turkey day my other incubator will hatch..

I have to start working on getting my nuts cracked and picked out to make Christmas Candy....

lol now all you need is a candle stick maker ...its a boy miguel damien due 12/15 ..but i dont think shell make it we'll see ...what kind of candy? got a recipe? i hope to hatch some buttons soon...
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 09:49:16 PM »

Well, no fancy cakes for me this year, but thanks for the shout out with the turkey cake from last year... Got another comment on that today too... I'll be cooking this year. Turkey (marinated in a mixture of brown sugar, apple juice, & cider vinegar), baked corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, noodles, green bean casserole, cheese ball, rolls, etc.  The usual I guess. But i try to find a different recipe for at least the turkey every year. Oh, pumpkin roll. Can't forget that.
Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Stay warm. It's been downright cold here although "they" (whoever "they" are...) say its gonna warm up some. To at least above freezing... Bon appetit!!!
hey put up the actuall recipe for that turkey ..id love to try it ...please?

Well, here's the link to where I found it! I'm to lazy to type it all out like someone else.... LOL!
http://thanksgiving.betterrecipes.com/apple-honey-turkey.html
Just put mine in the marinade tonight, cause I'm not really into getting up early to do it tomorrow morning... Figure it can't hurt to marinate longer than 24 hours...
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 02:17:40 PM »

Everybody ready for thanksgiving??, i hope you all have your ingredients and ready to start cooking/baking.  Tonight i'm making my southern pecan pie, cranberry, sauce, and cranberry bread.  The other stuff i'll make tomorrow.  The only thing though is for the cranberry bread i need walnuts to mix in, would you believe i went to nearly 5 stores in NY not one store had walnuts (whats funny is that they had macadamia nuts, cashews, and these exotic nuts if you say, but they dont have walnuts....... s53 s80?  I bet you if i went down south i wouldn't of had a problem.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

Use Pecans they are better......

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:46 PM »

Use Pecans they are better......

yeah i should but i used them in my pecan pie, i'll go to the fruit store tomorrow and get walnuts, i doubt they'll have pecans but i'll look.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:42 PM »

If you are going to make anything Southern and it has nuts in it you always use pecans. That is all we use down here.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »

would you believe i went to nearly 5 stores in NY not one store had walnuts

That's hard to believe, everyone knows that NY is full of nothing but nuts!   :wink:

s020   I bet I drove over a couple thousand of them on the way home.   ^-^   ...........walnuts.   :grin:

cv
Expert Member

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2008, 02:24:29 AM »

The True Thanksgiving Story by Dennis Rupert
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »

Hope everyone has had a good day, I know, personally, I am ready for a nap!! The apple honey turkey was good, not as good as I had hoped, but good....  I'll try something different next year. I'm stuffed to the gills, gonna crash on the couch. 
Thanks to all of you who have helped me since I started this bird brained venture of mine!!!
a31 Happy Thanksgiving!!! a31
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »

Ode, don't let them git to you.  Some of them seem to be the type that would eat their own young, if you turn your back on them.  Others are really caring.  Don't let the negative over shadow the good i5
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2008, 09:38:36 PM »

i5     s020

ode2god
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 10:04:09 AM »

Ode, don't let them git to you.  Some of them seem to be the type that would eat their own young, if you turn your back on them.  Others are really caring.  Don't let the negative over shadow the good i5
:grin: thanks tweezy ..lol they look for signs of weakness, but ..they are alright guys some of them are actually really nice , i think its just ornariness mostly the still need momma ta woop em lol, had a good thanksgiving ,honey spice ham ..and ended up cooking the turkeyt in a little white grape juice marinade it was so juicy i think i can make a sooup outa the drippings alone j41 everything else was good too , but my grammy went into the hospital day before shes 86 not doing too well dont know whats wrong yet s178
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »

a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31  Happy Thanksgiving!!!    a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving :?:, i know i did.  The pecan pie came out good i just need to add a little less brown sugar next time, the turkey was moist and juicy not dried at all, i think it tasted better today, and everything else was perfect, what more can i ask for.  Don't you just love the holidays how can you go wrong with a pecan pie and other foods.
I wish thanksgiving didn't have to go so quick but then again its ok, christmas is next  p42 and this holiday is a big one.  I think i might make a turkey again for christmas day or maybe i might do a roasted pig or lamb, which are good as well.  It's good to look forward to stuff.

a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31 a31
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:35:32 PM by birdlover17 » Logged

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »

old post I know... You guys had me drooling back when this was posted and I have finally stepped up to your level.  Bought a 10LB Boston Pork Butt and was going to try smoking it on my charcoal grill.  Read up on how to do it on a grill since I have never smoked anything before.  We have a New Years Eve Eve party tonight with two of my sisters coming over with their husbands, so didn't want to screw it up. 

Started with a dry rub yesterday

4 TBSP Brown Sugar
4 TBSP Paprika
3 TBSP Salt
3 TBSP Black Pepper
2 TBSP Cumin
3 tsp Cayenne
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Dry Mustard

Rubbed down the roast and wrapped it in Plastic wrap for overnight.

Went out to make sure the grill would work for this and three of the four legs fell off.  Old kettle Webber that I've had for ten years finally rusted through on the bottom.  Called my wife before she left work and told her to call me when she got to Fleet Farm .  Purchased a MasterCraft Digital Smokehouse that appears to be just like yours Steve without the Stainless.  Preseasoned her last night and fired her up this morning at 4:45 with apple juice in the water pan.  Put the roast on at 5:25 at 225F.  I've been adding apple wood chips every two hours.  Had some grease leaking out so I opened the door to check on that and misted the roast with apple juice.  Will pull it off after 6 hours and wrap it in aluminum foil, stab it with a temp probe, and back in the smoker for a few more hours.  Looks amazing.  We will also be having twice baked potatos, bourbon baked beans, and cast iron skillet corn bread.  The pulled pork will be put on toasted ciabatta buns and topped with cole slaw.  I also made three sauces for the guests, a tangy bbq, South Carolina mustard, and a black pepper vinagriette. 

I believe I will be smoking a lot of things now, looks amazing.

While I had the rub made, I rubbed down one of our free range chickens and placed that on the grill with a beer can shoved in it for one last meal for the grill.  Wow, was that amazing.  Best chicken I've ever had!

Thanks for introducing me to smoking, even if it took me awhile to get caught up!   :grin:

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »