Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Some Species I've had or will be getting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Species I've had or will be getting  (Read 9507 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »

Still want the Amherst's, still stuck in Sask., home for a few days this weekend (Sat./Sun.) driving back Mon.. Set a new record yesterday, coldest Mar. 11 in recorded history! -34*c what ever that is in F*  ::)

Good to hear you are still above ground !

-34c is a heat wave !

Two days ago it was about -41c , after the sun came up !
(-42f)
bkvail

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »

where are you guys at?  Antarctica?  s020  It's been in the teens here in NW WA at night - frozen solid again......  I can't wait for spring  s176

Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out!
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »

-34C if like -29F!!!  BRRRRR!
thats nothing for colorado it gets that cold all the time in march but not this year it was suppose to be our worst winters ever and turned out to be one of the most me-lo, we didn't get much snow this year and now we are in the 60's and 70's!

But Reeves that is really an impressive collection and i hope one day i will have maybe even close to what you have or had, but first i need to get my hands on some Reeves and Lady Amherst's pheasants first, those are my two ultimate goals right now to get...thanks for your time!

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

but first i need to get my hands on some Reeves

Not a real good starting bird. Not for the faint of heart.
While one may hear of the odd male that will not attack, they are rare.
It takes a special personality to deal with this species.
They are, after all, a bird. You cannot kick them away when they attack you.
You cannot hit them at all.
It is also the reason I seldom let them hatch any of their own. I will not sell to a person if I think them unable to deal with them. Nor will i sell to anyone whom I think has pens below what I think they should have (for any species actually).
I'm fussy whom I let have any birds of mine.
(as far as I am concerned, that should be the way with all breeders, of all species of birds)

You will notice, after reading on here, and other forums, that people are asking what the minimum space they require. Not one time have I seen a person ask: is this pen too big.
(the answer to that is: No aviary is too big)

If people are on a tight budget, then getting birds at that time should be out of the question.

OK, nuff ranting  :angel:
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »

I totally agree with you that they are not for the faint of heart and that they require lots of care and room, and exactly how much room do you reccomend? the reason i ask this is because right now the birds that i adopted from a friend who has recently passed away were in a 5x5 wire cage that is not at all adequate for them, so this weekend officially starts spring break at school so i was planning to tear down a old shed on my property and start building new pens for the birds i already have and for new birds. i will have plenty of supplies since my dad owns a carpentry and landscaping business so really i could build the taj mahal hall of birds! s020 i dont know how far i will get with the pens though seeing that i have to pay my dad back 50% of what the supplies cost and i have a limited budget right now but this summer when i can start my summer business back up i will have more than enough money to build more pens.

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
glenn-bob

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »

this summer when i can start my summer business back up i will have more than enough money to build more pens.

But no time to do it.  That's life!
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »

s020 thats very true i run a lawn mowing business with my cousin and last year we were making about $300.00 a week and by the end of the summer i think i had about 5000.00 total but we worked our butt off sun up to sundown every day except Wednesday and Sunday
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:34:57 AM by kingwolf » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »

You have already noticed the tail on the Reeves. In order to maintain this, you have to build the pen, and their "house" , with this in mind.
Your aviary should be of sufficient area that the grass will have no problems surviving the birds in/on it. (if grass cannot survive, the pen is too small)

If you read some of my past posts you will read about landscaping for their comfort.

The minimum I'd recommend ? 400 sq. ft. (not including their protective structure)

Look in the "Build It Yourself" section, in the topic "My Aviaries". You will get ideas on ways to deal with a pugnacious species.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:37:49 AM by Reeves » Logged
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »

I figured that was one of the main reasons why they required alot of room because of their long tails and i did go look at your aviaries post and was wondering if their house you had for the reeves was just a tuff shed or whatever you want to call it or did you build it yourself and if it is a tuff shed about how much did it cost you?... thanks for your time.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »

I don't buy "sheds".
I don't build "sheds".
I build my own "Aviary houses".
Built for the specific reasons to house the Pheasant species I keep, in the best possible manner that I am able to provide.

Reading my topic about them, you will have read that.
I also build the doors, so I get the full R-factors required for the northern climates, during the winters.

Costs vary. I also never consider the costs.

Return on the "investment" will never be seen.

Unless one looks at what is best for the betterment for the species.

(read my sig line)

If you want to raise them because they are "pretty" then you are not working for the betterment of (any) species.

Keep in mind I'm not saying (typing) this in any type of anger. It is meant to help educate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:12:31 PM by Reeves » Logged
Dan Cowell

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »

Return on the "investment" will never be seen.

Unless one looks at what is best for the betterment for the species.

When working with preservation, this is totally true!!  All too often, one will see a species that is rather expensive and then dreams of producing more and more to make $$$ comes in to play.  The benefit a species suffers as many of these species produce few eggs and what is sold is usually related pairs.  I will have to live to be at least 1,450 or older to see me make any money back on the birds I've worked with!!  When I show my Lineated Kalij to folks, they ask if its a "bad silver".

Got my first Elliot's eggs of the year today, wish me luck (we are still below freezing at night, so eggs are headed to the incubator) and some offspring will be on their way to to you.

Dan

http://www.gbwf.org  - dedicated to the aviculture & conservation of the world's galliformes
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/index.php - gbwf.org Avicultural Forums
http://www.animalwonders.net/ - Enhancing appreciation of the natural world
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »

s87

Good luck with those eggs Dan.   You fellas have always had and have some excellent birds, top of the line.

th3
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:55:26 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 06:21:35 AM »

Hi Dan

Good luck with those eggs, thats a beautiful bird. BTW, I've looked for your email, I'm in a catch 22 again on my password to your site.

I have to agree on the 'keeping' of any species. To me breeding is a natural result if a species is content in their environment. Keeping anything , just to look at is like keeping someone in jail. If proper environment for the species cant be done dont do it.

I am not a fan of any pugnacious species, I like to sit in with and admire my critters around me. My Goldens and Amherst have always been friendly to be around and would come up and eat from my hands, a simple little thing but so am I.  I have had both rear their own chicks, and thats what I really enjoy watching.

I have a few Longhorns, all born in pastures bigger then many farms, but all like their necks scratched,  and are not only beautiful to look at but good to be around.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »

Got my first Elliot's eggs of the year today, wish me luck (we are still below freezing at night, so eggs are headed to the incubator) and some offspring will be on their way to to you.

I have to build more pens !

(note to self: win lottery)

Dan Cowell

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »

Jake - Remember that we've moved to a new url with the forum (http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/index.php), I wasn't able to transfer accounts over so you will have to re-register.

(note to self: win lottery)

That's been my retirement plan for years!!

Dan

http://www.gbwf.org  - dedicated to the aviculture & conservation of the world's galliformes
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/index.php - gbwf.org Avicultural Forums
http://www.animalwonders.net/ - Enhancing appreciation of the natural world
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »