Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Ammended signature!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ammended signature!!!  (Read 6391 times)
labmancan
Expert Member

« on: December 18, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »

Two seperate attacks by a Weasel this year, one in the Spring and the second 3 weeks ago have about cleaned me out.
The first one got into my garage, where I have my Brooders, Incubators and Gang Pens, cleaned out all my Quail and most of last springs hatch of Chukkar, course I was in Hospital and not at home.
This last attack, got my Red Goldens (trio), Yellows (pair), my Lady Amherst (male), Chukkar (trio),Wht. (pair), and my Silver female, this time I was away working.
Down to a Silver Male, Manchurian x (Trio), Lady Amherst (Female) and one pair of Chukkars.
 s53, Don't feel much like starting over. Most of my aviaries are now empty, and the big one I was building for some Impiens is only half finished.

I know ALL of Gods creatures need to eat, but this little  s53, just killed everything and only ate a bit of all of them, some of the birds it only took a couple of bites, others it ate the WHOLE freaking bird, This thing got through 1/2" wire to do this. The snow is too deep to run the electric fencher, and the smart little  s53 seemed to know that it was off.  s176

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »

Bummer ! 

My cat seems to enjoy catching them, I've found two with his signature 'head chewed off' carcasses. Plus he tried to bring a fresh one in one morning.

Half inch wire isnt any deterrent, thats true. 

I'd be tempted to put out some land mines if I lost Goldens and Amherst to them. All others actually.  You can try traps, live and leg holds, baited with chicken livers.  Even rat traps should work.

Good luck, really sorry about your losses. It'd  piss me off major.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »

That really stinks!!

Sorry to hear of your losses.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:00:07 AM »

labmancan,

I know the feeling and frustration that you went through all to well. The beginninng of 07 I lost 35 RN's to a mink.

Finally caught the little  s53 and it ended my problem..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »

Thanks guy's. Pissed hardly covers it, the little s53 seems to know when I'm not home.
I thought of traps, too many neighbor's Cats and my kids got one, even a Rat trap could get me in trouble here.
 c110 I can shoot here, shotgun, bow or black powder, but catch your neighbors pet kitty, man I can hear it now. s176
I got the neighbors used to the sound of my dog training, Dummy Launchers, Shotgun Blanks, so shooting the little  s53 won't be a problem.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

Then night time with a red light is the time to take the little s53 out. Good luck!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:16:39 AM »

After you get things sorted out, let me know. As mentioned before, I may be getting out of Amherst and you'll be welcome to the trio I have.
But as you know, the male is a question mark.

Depending on several factors, I may get some new birds from the States. If I do I'll be getting Reeves male(s), Maybe Amherst, Saytr , Golden hens and ????
I have to look into the paper work......

I still say rat traps will do the job. There has to be places to set them ! I use Smelts for bait.

Next time call my home phone. You talk too much for my cell bill !  s020
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »

As I recall i9, it was your idea for me to call your cell. i6
Got to head to town, the x-mas lites I put up 3 years ago seem a little faded, the girls want new ones  ???, I'll swing by the UFA see what they have for traps, Game birds seem to be a great bait. s176 and I save my Smelt for fishing.
Banked enough overtime hours, that I am off until Jan. 05/09, maybe I will get up and visit. If I want to get started, AGAIN, Barb is still advertizing Reeves excetera for sale, but it would be great to get some new blood lines out of the U.S., whowever the paperwork can be a deal killer, just ask Dirt Willy.

c181

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »

I'm off till Jan as well.....will have to get together.

Who is Barb ?
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »

:-[ I must have too much Bailey's in the coffee, I mean't Donna Bush, not Barb. Bush.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:01:51 AM »

Got to head to town, the x-mas lites I put up 3 years ago seem a little faded, the girls want new ones 

Nag nag nag, eh ! Same here ! Wife was on this nag thing about getting the lights up.
I finally got round to it, and have had 100% silence ever since !

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 11:04:44 AM »

I'll swing by the UFA see what they have for traps,

They didn't have any here when I got mine. Had to get them at the Trappers association in town. They also have live traps....that may be a better option for your place ?
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »

I love the way it sets of that beautiful garage door, I have tried that style of lighting in the past, please share your secrets.

Martha's got nothing on you for decorating class and function. c181

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »

Actually it came to me, that if I set the traps inside the empty aviaries, the only thing that can get to them would be the little  s53

AAh Haaaaaa, you pesky little  s53, MAN the ultimate predator!!!

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »

Electric fencing should work in the garage, grounding might require masonry drill, drive ground rod through drilled hole into the ground.   Use a test light, you might have to keep the floor moistened, near the cages.  Would Coyote, Fox, or Bobcat pee deter them?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »