Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Pictures are in of the Mt. Quail X Gamble
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pictures are in of the Mt. Quail X Gamble  (Read 12083 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 10:58:48 AM »

This sort of cross breeding will be the beginning of the end of gamebirds as we know it.

s47   I'd be ashamed.

Next thing you know, those things will have made their way north with those fireants and killer bees.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »

s49    t15    i9    s20

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »

slider you should post the pictures on gbwf.
I'm sure that will get you back in tight with them. :grin:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »

Great idea Pete.....
CH send me ur address and I will send you a package just do not open it in your house... s020

Dan Cowell

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 08:39:49 PM »

slider you should post the pictures on gbwf.
I'm sure that will get you back in tight with them. :grin:

Great idea, please so so.

Dan

http://www.gbwf.org  - dedicated to the aviculture & conservation of the world's galliformes
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/index.php - gbwf.org Avicultural Forums
http://www.animalwonders.net/ - Enhancing appreciation of the natural world
ode2god
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »

This sort of cross breeding will be the beginning of the end of gamebirds as we know it.

s47   I'd be ashamed.

Next thing you know, those things will have made their way north with those fireants and killer bees.
okay edjumacate me charlie is crossing them an end because it makes them mules or do you mean they would extinct as a breed? a28 c53
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 12:02:09 AM »

Great idea Pete.....
CH send me ur address and I will send you a package just do not open it in your house... s020

YOU OWE ME A NEW KEY BOARD !   s020
"Barley" all over it !  s020
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »

Its on its way.... s020

Dan Cowell

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 02:44:50 AM »

s47   I'd be ashamed.

okay edjumacate me charlie is crossing them an end because it makes them mules or do you mean they would extinct as a breed? a28 c53

Charlie is being facetious (in part, look at the comment to post it on gbwf).

The problem lies with unscrupulous breeders who cross species and send out the offspring (i.e. Amherst, Golden, Spaulding, etc) to the general population.  Either by ignorance or greed, doing so jeopardizes pure species and the hard work, time, and money a dedicated aviculturist puts into a species.  Some of these hybrids are perfectly fertile and will breed back to either parent species. 

Why does this matter?  Well, the tightening of laws and regulations (thank bird flu for the most recent clamp-down) make it difficult to bring in fresh blood from either aviaries overseas or wild-caught birds.  If you are dedciated to breeding the wild type species to ensure survival of the species on earth, having someone mixing birds up ruins this.  It has become very difficult to find pure species and subspecies of most Galliformes in American aviculture.   

I'm not going to debate on natural hybrids vs man-madd hybrids.  I had posted on this forum some months back some of Johnsgard's work on natural Quail hybrids in North America.  Unfortunately, those posts are gone.  Therefore, I recommend picking up a copy of Paul Johnsgard's Quails and Grouse of North America.

Dan   

http://www.gbwf.org  - dedicated to the aviculture & conservation of the world's galliformes
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/index.php - gbwf.org Avicultural Forums
http://www.animalwonders.net/ - Enhancing appreciation of the natural world
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

Attractive bird, are the others like this one?

I agree with Dan,  accidents happen, but theres good reasons not to cross, it happens naturally enough.

But Slider is giving them a forever home, all is well.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »

Jake they all look the same...I think that some crosses are a good thing, especially in the pheasant meat market and shooting preserve market. Some preserve owners breed or buy a particular cross that their hunters like and it is good for there business. Crosses are just a matter of opinion to those who raise birds for business and those that keep them as pets. It is like anything else as those that like to drag motorcycles and those that like to ride them down the Hwy. That is why there is more than one FORUM on gamebirds. This one is mainly for the breeder that is going to sell the birds to make a LITTLE money and those that are going to raise them for the table. Either way you have to know how to hatch,raise and care for them to obtain either end result. Also we have more beginners than the other Forums and that is probably because of our relaxed and friendly attitude and they do not feel stupid asking a beginners question here. We are mostly geared towards Quail and Ringneck Pheasant. And as most of you have noticed we like to have some fun while we are doing this. There is just a He!! of a good bunch of members here at TQP and we have Larry to thank for that.

ode2god
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 11:21:38 PM »

thankx for the input dan i  guess thats like the problem we have in florida with duck crosses  endangering certain wild breeds because everything released here  survives and starts interbreeding with the wild ones causing near extinction in some breeds of ducks...its common here for people to release theyre unwanted chickens and ducks,rabbits ,snakes etcetra when they dont want them anymore and with our warm weather most things adapt  s176
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 01:12:45 AM »

Why's that? Is it going to stink?     t15       a29                                       

YOU OWE ME A NEW KEY BOARD !   s020
"Barley" all over it !  s020

s020 

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 04:15:39 AM »

slider,

Here is a picture of one of the off springs from a Ring-necked cock crossed with a Melanistic hen.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

...........as CharlieHorse would say: Click on picture to enlarge. Or you can Click on the link under the picture and it will open up in your Microsoft Viewer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:19:43 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »

Steve I like those crosses better than the normal Ringneck...Thanks

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »