Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Trying to catch up!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying to catch up!  (Read 12076 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: October 05, 2008, 11:30:52 PM »

Well hey everyone I am back, I know nobody missed me but I missed A LOT of you and I see that there are a lot of new members that I will be happy to get to know.

Yes, Reeves I really missed all your comments, advice, and all the other stuff you used to keep me laughing with!! j41

Well I have been really busy with school and all and the summer was really busy and I haven't been able to get online much. Well i just broke my leg so i have more time to talk and decided i better get back on TQP because of all the awesome people that love this hobby like I do. So anyway I had a pretty good hatching year, I had my ringneck hens sit on there eggs and hatch them out which was nice and really fun. I am still having problems getting my golden pheasants to produce fertile eggs or i am having problems hatching them out...so some advice would be nice :)...I just sold them remaining of my 08 hatch today so all I have left are my breeders for next year so that is nice, with fewer pens and birds to take care of and I am really getting excited for next year cause I have a few new ideas/plans that I want to persue. So that is what I pretty much have been up to the last 6-8months or so.

I am excited to get back and be active on TQP and I already have been trying to catch up with everything and I wish everyone a great rest of the year!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:56:08 AM »

s016 Back j41

Sorry to hear about the leg. There have also been alot of 10-second members joing as well s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:23:31 AM »

Behave or I'll break the other one too !

s020
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:13:54 AM »

Behave or I'll break the other one too !

s020

Reeves,

s020

I was wondering how he had his leg broken. He didn't seem to elaborate on how it was accomplished.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »

yeah 10 sec. members but i see birdlover is still reasonably active  :wink:

s020 Reeves that is why I missed you all those comments

well it was accomplished in when i jammed my ankle up into my leg on a landing in gymnastics...what really stinks is missing duck/pheasant/goose hunting, but oh well...thanks
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:19:56 PM »

t15 Some of us newbies scan learn more by listening (reading) than talkin' (Writing)!!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:48 PM »

s016 BACK!!!!!!! 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:20:59 AM »

yeah 10 sec. members but i see birdlover is still reasonably active  :wink:

s020 Reeves that is why I missed you all those comments

well it was accomplished in when i jammed my ankle up into my leg on a landing in gymnastics...what really stinks is missing duck/pheasant/goose hunting, but oh well...thanks
    Your leg is broken not your arm j2
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:24:11 AM by jchiar » Logged
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

s016 back chuck breeder j2
greyghost
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:27 PM »

s016 Back from a 30second member. I don't know you, but if all the regulars think you are OK, you must be. Great big Boooo from the Ghost.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

Thanks guys...greyghost it is great to have you, I joined quite awhile back in 06 and was really active till this past spring...it is great to have all you new members!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:50:05 AM »

Your Golden are first year breeders ?
Are they in a pen next to other birds ?
Pretty_Bird

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »

Nice to meet you Chukar Breeder,
I too am a NEWBE to this forum and I will say that it does contain good people.
One comment I would like to elaborate on is about 30 second members,
People locate this web site usually from a search engine. Most of the time it seems to me that the questions being ask are because the situation in question has already arisen.
 For example: one new member had birds dying and wanted answers quickly.
As most of us would if we were loosing birds and didn't know WHY.
Some of the long time members are quick to say " You should always do a SEARCH before POSTING" and I know answering the same questions over and over can be aggravating but the search on this site lists every word typed and that can be many posts that do not pertain to the information they are seeking and too few words just the same or NO RESULTS at all.
 Has any one ever though about placing pages of facts, trouble shooting and general facts about each type of birds, that way if you wanted information on CHUKARS you could go directly to that page and find all the information about that particular bird,
everything from incubation periods to brooding, breeding, housing, feeding, butchering,
trouble shooting problems, medications for that type of bird and how much to use and when. exact step by step directions of how to administer it.
If they were all listed and that information was readily available then guests would be able to access it and not join the forum just to ask a single question.
    Although thereare only so many facts that can be listed and problems the same way,
So without having to ever REPEAT answers would make the forum open for pretty much just chat among friends.
    What do you think Chukar?
If you don't mind for the benefit of those of us that have lasted more than 30 seconds
Tell us a little more about you.

By the way NICE to MEET YA!!
Pretty_Bird
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 10:29:18 AM »

Well Reeves the hens are 06 hatch and the males 05...of course the 2 pairs are in different pens and cannot see each other, but one side of both of their pens run along side my ringneck pheasant pen and I guess at certain parts they can see into the other pen...the hens each laid at least 20 eggs but none of them hatched and everytime I saw the males display in front of the hens the hens would run away and I never saw them breed

Pretty_Bird-
   I don't mind newbes or 30 sec. members at all, hey we where all 30 sec. members at some point, but some of us decided to stay longer j2 But yeah it can get annoying with so many people posting 1 or 2 questions than leaving. Anyway yes when i first came i used the search engine a lot and read a lot of the topics.  I had already been raising birds for a year so i knew a tiny bit already. I ad also read a lot of books on the subject which helped a lot to. About the idea to have all the information (brooding, breeding, incubating etc) on certain birds in a certain area on this site would be a great thing, but that would be A LOT of work for someone and I don't know if anyone would want to do it and yeah it might cut down a little bit on the members who post 1 or 2 questions then are never heard from again...

What does everyone else think?

Well since some people might not know me I will tell a little about my self. I am 17 years old, I have been raising game birds for 4 years going into my 5th...The birds that I have owned are Ringneck, Golden (red), Silver Pheasants and Chukar and I live in MN.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »

In reference to either the 10,15, or 30 second members. The oldtimers here don't have a problem suppling information for what they seek. There is tons of info that can be found doing a search.

There are also stickys and locked topics containing other valuable information.  What bugs  c109 out of me is when someone posts a question in the general forum wanting to know about either Humidity, Temps and how long it takes an egg to hatch without going to the Incubation forum first.

Or my birds are dying and not giving enough information on the symptoms.

The 10, 20, or 30 second members shouldn't even be buying any incubation equipment or eggs or even chick for that matter without doing some hard research on the type of gamebird that they want to raise.

They should also be contacting their own state Dept. of Ag. or their Dept. of Wildlife or DNR, or D.E.C. to find out what the requirements are and what permits are involved. Even checking out the local City, County or town ordnances pertaining to any wild game birds.

Each state is different on there rules and regulation. What doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of Wildlife will most certainly fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Agriculture.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »