Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Quail nesting info
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail nesting info  (Read 9242 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »

Frank may be off a bit on a sitting hen dieing...

However, I may have been too brief on what I posted....

At one month, I would have taken the eggs. They wouldn't hatch after that. She would then have had the chance to lay another clutch and maybe have been able to hatch them.
Being so late now, she may not have the time to do so.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »

I guess she just likes to "sit".....

Sounds like somebody else does too?.......watching quail.   :grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
danemomma

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:36:39 PM »

Oh yes! I love it!! We moved from the city to the country about 5 years ago and I still can't get enough of the "wildlife"! We have bunnies, quail, deer, foxes....all sorts of neat stuff!!  :grin: I'm hoping she'll give up soon.....my plant is almost dead, the fountain that it's behind is dry and the cobwebs are terrible! Once she leaves we'll be putting a cover of some sort over the plant. I love the birds, but having them nest on the porch is too hard! On them and me! j1 But they are so fun to watch!
bobhunter

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »

California Quail are a delight to watch! What's the latest, has she finally vacated the nest?
danemomma

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 12:39:08 AM »

Oh  yeah....still there!  ^-^ My cat decided to lay in front of the fountain while they were out on their jaunt today...I could hear them giving him what for! It was SO funny! The cat just laid there and looked at them...he's really old...<g> I picked him up and moved him...mom scurried in and settled in for the evening! ::)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 05:24:02 AM »

Oh yes! I love it!! We moved from the city to the country about 5 years ago and I still can't get enough of the "wildlife"! We have bunnies, quail, deer, foxes....all sorts of neat stuff!!  :grin: I'm hoping she'll give up soon.....my plant is almost dead, the fountain that it's behind is dry and the cobwebs are terrible! Once she leaves we'll be putting a cover of some sort over the plant. I love the birds, but having them nest on the porch is too hard! On them and me! j1 But they are so fun to watch!

j45 I just had to comment on your quote:
Oh yes! I love it!! We moved from the city to the country about 5 years ago and I still can't get enough of the "wildlife"! We have bunnies, quail, deer, foxes....all sorts of neat stuff!!  :grin:
I was that way 8 years ago. Moved from Long Island, NY from a residential neighborhood, to a WV rural farming area.

I too was impressed with the "Wildlife"  c110 No longer though. The deer are eating my flowers, the rabbits are eating the flower and vegetables, the coons, possums, and mink have wreaked havoc over the years as well. As far as the Red Fox, one showed up 2 weeks ago and sat by the pen looking at the pheasants, and decided to pass on the meal and moved on.

By the way,  s016 to the forums j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »

its either Wildlife or Gamebirds they do not mix very well...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »

its either Wildlife or Gamebirds they do not mix very well...

slider,

They do as a well prepared meal  j44 j41

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
danemomma

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 12:29:45 AM »

well...that's true! We used to have apples on our tree, but now there are only handful! We've just learned to plant what the critters don't want to eat. I'm all for trying to co-exist! Although, the ground squirrels are annoying sometimes. They dig incredible holes! I don't mind the birds at all. My neighbor has chickens, so he's concerned about the foxes, but he got a pretty strong enclosure and puts the chickens away at night.
danemomma

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »

Just thought I'd let you all know that "momma has left the building"!!! j47 She's been gone for a few days. Hubby has already covered the potted plant! I'll be cleaning the fountain and getting rid of the cobwebs! yea! Thanks for the ~advice~....nice to be able to run stuff by knowledgable people! Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »