Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Coturnix vs. Chukars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coturnix vs. Chukars  (Read 2343 times)
frank_lap_127
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if any studies have already been made to compare the price between meat quail production and chukar production. I know that Coturnix can be slaugth at 6 weeks old and for chukars it's at 16 weeks old, but I'm wondering if Chukars are much more expensive to produce per meat grams ($/gr.) than Coturnix.

Because I'm a meat eater, the only problem is that Chukars take much more time, but they are really great to eat compare to Coturnix (I eat a minimum of 4...)

Thanks!

Frank
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »

I don't think you can beat the larger varieties of Coturnix for feed conversion.  It then becomes a matter of taste, especially personal taste.  Chukars are nice and big, look good on the grill, or plate, but are voracious eaters, and waste a lot of feed, if you don't have the right set-up (see other posts on feed wasting).  Chukar eat a lot, even after reaching maturity, not just while growing.

If you like the flavor of a Jumbo Brown, or Texas A&M, They will probably be your favorite for that purpose  For preserve shooting, or dog training, where feed conversion isn't as important, Chukar are pretty hard to beat.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:49:35 AM »

Wilder,
Thanks for the answer, I'll try to do something about food wasting, maybe I could put something on my feeder to avoid them to waste the feed on ground. I personnally like most kind of meat, they all have there little taste normally. I give to my birds wild fruits and that kind of stuff to my birds few weeks before butchering, they taste really good, almost like grouse!

Thanks!

Frank
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »