Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Valley Hatch!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valley Hatch!  (Read 10576 times)
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 08:59:03 AM »

Sound like she is getting ready to leave!!!!!  s020 s020 s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »

Reeves told me to let you guys know that the male helps with the brooding.

Chuck,............don't worry I'm not going to try to give advice like the one your talking about :grin:

Thanx everybody for congrats.

from
Reeves Hen doing all the work while Reeves is goofing off in the bush s020

Bobwhite, and Scaled males do that in the wild, also.

I'm surprised you know about/remember her omg!  you're not one of those couples who share everything, and wear matching shirts, are you?

Goofing off in the bush, goofing off, at home, whats the difference? (several thousand Canadian, I suppose, huh?)

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

I didn't know that Bobwhite were doing but Gambel's also do. Many species of birds are doing this at different levels, we jsut don't give them the chance...

Frank
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »

As far as I know, I have never prevented a male bird from helping with brooding.  (Except a few slow fliers, during hunting season).

frank_lap_127
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »

Well, I've never tried, but a lot of pheasants will do, every geese and swans and few species of ducks will do, some species of quail will do, but it's hard to see this when you use incubators.

In few case, like with the Red-Legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa), the male will brood by himself a clutch during the time his hen do the same on her side.

with the REAL button quail (that the only thing in common with quail is the name), the female is larger and more colorful than the male, the male is setting the eggs and will take care of the brood.

Frank
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »

Man, Chuck!  And you're supposed to be his friend!

Next you'll be telling her about the posts he deleted, after saying all those nasty things about her.  How inconsiderate of you.  Just don't let her find out about the sexy dancing girls that come on here.

frank_lap_127
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »

WOw not sure I well understand

Good night all!  :-* ( :-X)                   s020

Frank
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »

Man, Chuck!  And you're supposed to be his friend!

Next you'll be telling her about the posts he deleted, after saying all those nasty things about her.  How inconsiderate of you.  Just don't let her find out about the sexy dancing girls that come on here.

Uh...Oh...     I forgot about that! 

Like yourself, I can ran very fast and zig zag with the best of 'em.     

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »

How's those organic chicks getting along? 

I bet it's hard to get by without Master Reeves hangin' around all day, barkin' out orders, tellin' ya which ways up constantly, and how you should breath and stuff?

:grin:

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 12:20:47 AM »

How's those organic chicks getting along? 

I bet it's hard to get by without Master Reeves hangin' around all day, barkin' out orders, tellin' ya which ways up constantly, and how you should breath and stuff?

:grin:

They are doing fine, no casualties yet.

IT is really quiet around here except around 6:00am and 7:30pm. That's about the time MASTER REEVES calls. It sucks when you are trying to sleep in. :grin: Not that that happens very often when you have to get up with the birds to let them out. When I can get a pic of all of them either in or out of the hutch I will past them here.

Have a good day/night
Reeves Hen
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »

Send pictures when you'll get time  :grin:

Frank

P.S.: I'm also from Canada  s016

Just waiting for a chance to a picture of them when you can't get them all in one place as they scatter when you open the hutch. Will post when I get some you can actually see.
 Reeves Hen (Sue)
frank_lap_127
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »

Okay thanks Reeves hen (do you prefer us to call you Sue?)

Frank
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 12:36:59 AM »

UPDATE
 (8:00 am)
  This morning I was taking the eggs out of the other side of the hutch and the male was sitting on the babies when all hell broke loose. The babies (except one) went out and the papa stayed in. They jumped up in the window and papa stomped on baby. Next thing I knew he was up and out of the hutch. He went under the hutch and I went running for the nets (one for each hand).Out I go and he's not under the hutch he's headed for the spruce tree in the side yard. Ha, I thought, got you now...........nope, he went through the chain link into the back yard. Called the neighbour and cancelled coffee for the morning. He came over (she is terrified of birds) and tried to help me find him. He doesn't look where he's stepping and I was afraid he would step on papa. So we went to the deck to sit under my gazebo (birthday present from the neighbours) and waited. He didn't show up and neighbour had to go. So I went looking again by my self. Still no bird. I went and grabbed a coffee and my book and sat in gazebo and waited. At about 11:00 all the adults started calling back and forth. He came back into the front yard. I went sneeking around all the pens in the front yard and came around the south side of the amherst  pen and there he was [hiding] in the tall grass at the base of the water barrel. I caught him and put him back in the hutch. All is quiet now.
 The baby he stomped on did not make it. Now we are down to 15.
 All is fine now.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 12:47:46 AM »

Would you like to hear about my pet deer that hangs out here?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:43:48 PM by Reeves » Logged
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »

Not if it's that hard on the nerves!

Don't know how you could sit and wait, unless that was your bird, not his.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »