Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Snake proofing in the south
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snake proofing in the south  (Read 5762 times)
laughingbear

« on: April 09, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »

I live in Florida, right by the Alabama line.  As my neighbors are sure to know, we have snakes.  And lots of them. 

How do people in the south snake proof their pens?

Never meddle in the affairs of Hackers, Geeks, or Nerds.  For they are subtle and quick to anger.

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »

Guess we know where "laughingbear came from.  Snakeproof, you are so funny.   There are things you can do to help with this.  Others will chime in.  In the mean time, do a search of all appropriate words.

Barn metal around the bottom of pens, buried as deep as possible.  Build a cage of chicken wire.  Put boiled eggs, in shell, or egg shells filled with salt, in cage.  Snakes go in, swallow eggs, and can't get out.  When egg shells break, salt will kill the snake, otherwise, tomahawk him.

Kill all grass around the perimeter, and post a hillbilly with a shot gun at each corner.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 09:57:13 PM »

Mongoose ?
laughingbear

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:15:39 PM »

Guess we know where "laughingbear came from.  Snakeproof, you are so funny.   There are things you can do to help with this.  Others will chime in. 

My Great Grandfathers Native American Name (translated), my name sake.  In our tribe, it is a honor to be named after such an animal.  Long story, but when he got his name, he also got 7 eagle coup feathers.  My dad has them, some day they will be mine.

Barn metal around the bottom of pens, buried as deep as possible.  Build a cage of chicken wire.  Put boiled eggs, in shell, or egg shells filled with salt, in cage.  Snakes go in, swallow eggs, and can't get out.  When egg shells break, salt will kill the snake, otherwise, tomahawk him.

This is what i was planning on.  And a hot-wire real close to the ground.

Mongoose ?

Got one i can borrow?? s020
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:18:32 PM by laughingbear » Logged

Never meddle in the affairs of Hackers, Geeks, or Nerds.  For they are subtle and quick to anger.
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »

Do what ever it was Ireland did ?

Not much for snakes here, wife tells me that in 4 years, the only one seen was a small Garder that one of the cats dragged into the house  :grin:
laughingbear

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »

Do what ever it was Ireland did ?

Not much for snakes here, wife tells me that in 4 years, the only one seen was a small Garder that one of the cats dragged into the house  :grin:

Spent most of my childhood in Wisconsin (like 17 years).  Seen maybe 2 snakes the whole time.

Moved back down here, and they are all over the place!!

Went fishing this week end and saw a cotton mouth as big around as my arm!!!!  t14

Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:39:44 PM »

They say mothballs thrown around the pen and general area will work........although I'm not experienced.

......and post a hillbilly with a shot gun at each corner.

:x    s20

Is that another one of them "prejudice" remarks like the ones that brain surgeon doctor was sure to tell everyone about?   Us "hillbillies" are minorities in case you didn't know.   s47  

i9

My Great Grandfathers Native American Name (translated), my name sake.  In our tribe, it is a honor to be named after such an animal.  Long story, but when he got his name, he also got 7 eagle coup feathers.  My dad has them, some day they will be mine.

I'm impressed.  How old do you figure those feathers are?

.......and   s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
laughingbear

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »

I'm impressed.  How old do you figure those feathers are?

.......and   s016

He got them for deeds in WWI (32nd Red Arrow Div, from Wisconsin).  Not sure on the date.  Might be something i need to find out.  I know that they are VERY old.  We have them rolled in a hide right now.  I am building a shadow box for them.  Sorry to talk about it so much on a quail board, but i am very proud to have his name.

I think i am gonna try the moth ball and salt egg thing.  No birds yet, but i will soon!!

Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 12:08:20 AM »

"They are good eating...but they give you gas"
Crocodile Dundee

s020
CoopVilla
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »

After reading your previous post on plant life in the pen - it sounds as though you'll not be using a raised floor. Either way - be sure the cage wire used to keep your birds in is small enough to keep snakes out - (as well as some of the other suggestions)

Besides health - One of the advantages in having a raised wire floor would be an almost snake free pen. The right size snake could fit through but if it did, I don't think it would do much harm being that size, if for some reason it actually found something small enough to swallow (an egg)- it wouldn't get out - well at least not until it passed.. by then I would hope the birds them selves might get it - They have to learn some sort of self defense some where -

The disadvantage could be some critters trying to grab birds and pull them through - especially at night - two wire floors a few inches apart can help prevent that problem. of course a hot wire around the perimeter and weed free can also help -

Raptors -  stringing some fine strong wire in 2 to 3 foot squares on areas where they're not wanted, such as the top of the pen if need be will act as detour but won't eliminate them - unless they're really blind or stupid - I've had hawks fly into the windshield when driving while they're in pursuit of prey.

Eventually they'll go where ever else they can to get food but having some around will also help remove snakes and mice... as I understand it - night owls eat around 25 mice a night.

Earlier, I was looking at someone else's plans on a pen - heres the link http://www.quailranch-ok.com/wst_page6.html In the final pic, there is tall grass showing, possibly growing through the floor a bit. The fact is, snakes just love that - it's also a great place to consume those rodents that eat what feed the birds dropped through the floor - if you look at it in a different light - this can be  beneficial. The general rule with snakes on feed is they can swallow the same size as their mid section -

So, I would say, look for the pro's and con's and weigh it out - I'm sure you have some non venomous snakes that would help get rid of other problems
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

If you are going to raise birds in snake country, spend your money on wire with small holes...like 1/2 to 1/4 in. hardwire cloth. That is the only way that you will ever keep them away from your birds. I know...I live in LOUISIANA...snake capital of the world...and do not forget the space around the doors...You can put all the mothballs,sulphur,ammonia nitrate and all that other stuff out but you will never keep them away...You can kill 1 and another one will take its place..it is an on going battle if you keep birds..and I promise you if a snake has a choice between a live bird and a hard boiled egg...it will take the bird every time..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
laughingbear

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »

I was going to have a raised floor with 1/2" hardware cloth, and still want to one day.  But. the wife told me last week that she has a "egg in the incubator".  So i kinda have to split my money up.  I am squirreling some back for a raised floor.  It will just talk a little longer than planned.  I have a plan to build 2 pens.  So the first one will be on the ground, because i have birds on the way around the end of the month.  The next one will be a raised floor.

Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »

The next one will be a raised floor

Have a look at birdbrained's sticky post in "Build it Yourself" section. Very nice pen(s) !
laughingbear

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 10:32:33 AM »

The next one will be a raised floor

Have a look at birdbrained's sticky post in "Build it Yourself" section. Very nice pen(s) !

I live in the DIY section,  i dont know what will be more enjoyable, raising birds, or building stuff for them.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »

i dont know what will be more enjoyable, raising birds, or building stuff for them.

You'll get over that, in time, especially if you wander over the line between hobby, and business.  It really is enjoyable as long as you don't get up against too many deadlines, or have people depending too much on you for birds, or eggs.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »