Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Gettin any eggs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gettin any eggs?  (Read 8211 times)
gp
Expert Member

« on: April 01, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »

Its april 2 and I have not received a single egg from my bredders this year.  I have them in a 12x4' pen.  I'm not sure why?  Has anybody else not recieved eggs from there breeders yet?  Thanks
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »

what kind of birds ? my swinhoes are about the only things laying worth a darn. i have noticed the last few days that the reeves males and others have started being a little aggressive towards me so maybe this is a good sign!

~what good are birds without feathers?~
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:24 AM »

KC - my Reeves male is rabid all year long  :grin: But he is 5-6 years old now...

My Amherst started laying a week or two back. But they started right off eating them. Cleaning out their house today and placing the plastic eggs in the nests.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »

Hi,
How much day-light time do you have each day? What's the species?

Frank
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »

Bobwhite quail they were laying in march last year.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »

Bobwhite quail they were laying in march last year.

My BW's didn't lay any eggs until around the 3rd week in April last year..........and started laying mid March this year.     ???

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »

How many mourning dove, robin, black bird, starling, sparrow nests have you come across so far this year?  I doubt the quail are the first birds the others wait on before they follow suit laying eggs.....It's a wee bit early yet...patience grasshopper.

However, there are exceptions.....I've got 3000 bobwhite eggs in the incubator right now but the parents of those eggs have been indoor under lighting for a couple months now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:45:00 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
quail man

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 11:43:33 PM »

I just got my first egg from one of my five japanese quail today I ate it it was good.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:06:57 AM »

I just got my first egg............. I ate it it was good.

s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
finnegan

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »

My Bobwhites are outside I am in Michigan i do not expect eggs from them untill mid april at the earliest the mearns and masked bobwhites are in side with lights and heat I have fertile eggs from both in the incubator jim
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »

Masked bobwhites I sure would like to have a dozen or two of them eggs what's my chances? s80
finnegan

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »

Masked bobwhites I sure would like to have a dozen or two of them eggs what's my chances?

None   s020
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:23:26 AM »

j2 getting about 2 doz a day now depending on the weather.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
nancy

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

I got my first chukar egg on Mar 8 and #2 on 10th.  they are not consistent, but usually one/day with some soft shells.  I have a couple dozen pea size eggs from past year; they are great in the Easter basket.  Birds are free to go outside in pen, but also have shelter.  It was about -20 on the day of the first egg.  The aggression of the males is driving all of us crazy! 

nancy
fairbanks, alaska
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »

j41 Yes! I got my first eggs today a silver pheasant egg and a ringneck pheasant egg today.  I now can say that spring has began. Reeves, i got my silver pheasant pair this year and last year i just had silver male and he was kind and gently :?: Well not this male that has a hen, he keeps trying to kill me even when i am on the other side of the fence, it kind of scared me when it happened the first time because he was "nice" in the begining but all of a sudden he attack me yesterday when i was in the pen, my heart was beating pretty fast when i saw those 1in.+ spurs flying at me, but thankfully i was not injured and I now have a new respect for him :D
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »