Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Holding Ringneck breeders
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holding Ringneck breeders  (Read 14826 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »

I was going to mention that is looked REALLY dark, but whatever....They need sunlight!
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 01:40:23 PM »

Hey,
 here are some more pictures of my pheasants, quails, and doves.
Enjoy!!
 j2

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »

birdlover,

Is this menagerie all under your back deck? What are the first 2 picture of, they look like turkey heads.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »

turkey heads... s020 i wish i had turkeys as well as my other birds, but no their not turkeys, its a picture of my female pheasant, you probably can't make it out what she looks like because of the dark spot, when i took the picture i was standing in front of the sun so it made the picture a little dark, sorry for that

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »

turkey heads... s020 i wish i had turkeys as well as my other birds, but no their not turkeys, its a picture of my female pheasant, you probably can't make it out what she looks like because of the dark spot, when i took the picture i was standing in front of the sun so it made the picture a little dark, sorry for that

That sure looks like a hen turkey head to me j41 Where are her feathers? I don't see any feathers.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »

So, correct me if I'm wrong....you have these wee small "pens" under your deck, and the wee screen areas are all they have to look out of from under a deck ?
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 04:37:42 PM »

Oh-Oh I must be psychic/psychotic I can see what's coming!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »

Yes i have these wee small "pens" under my deck, trust me its the best i could do in such limited amount of space. Yep your right all they have to look out from is the screen areas, because i have the top of the pen with plastic to keep the pen dry, otherwise it would get very wet, the plastic is a little bit clear to let some sun in, i wouldn't get a color like black for the plastic. Maybe i should change my pen up a bit to let more sun in and so on.
I have the bottom of the pen with concrete, is this fine?, i just noticed that my female pheasant sometimes limps a little, so i just add more straw for traction.

I'm at a loss for words.....I have seen some poor conditions people have kept animals in, but you, hands down, are the worst. Not only should you be ashamed of these conditions, you should be reported for doing what you have been doing.
Another horror , is that you want eggs for hatching and plan on getting more birds.
I doubt any State side ASPCA (or what ever other Gov department) would listen to  a Canadian calling to report you. If I thought for one moment I would be listened to, I'd be on the phone right now demanding your State, county and any other law enforcement come down on you with the wrath of God.
I am outraged at the conditions you are keeping these birds in !
I'm so bloody angry my damned hands are shaking......
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »

See, I saw that coming. I see more responses yet to come, and some may not be as nice.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:06:41 PM by labmancan » Logged

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »

WHAT THE H*LL Birdlover!!!! those pens are not even big enough for chicks and what happens in the summer when that plastic keeps all the heat in and the birds don't get any vetilation, all your birds are going to die in one that reaches 90*F!!!!! s80 s80 s80 I should report you, you live near Queens, NY right and what is your home address?

If those were the average size pen than in comparision Reeve's pens would be the size of Canada s020 s6
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:03:28 PM by Chukar Breeder » Logged
finnegan

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 10:20:54 PM »

Then i came along oneday to rescue them from this horror, and boy were they happy when i could promise them now that no one would kill them.

you should have left them by now they would be out of there misery jim
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »

You should report people who leave their pets to starve or engage in animal cruelty.

I whole heartedly agree: it is what you are doing and have done.

yep you guessed it i got my pheasants/quails from a Poultry Market

In a small cage/pen for the day of the sale. Likely to go to pens that would have been much better than yours & to live a much better life than you could ever provide for them.

You have no idea what you see, when you see it. I find it dificult to believe for any amount of time that anyone can be so naive to think birds at an auction go soulely for death.

I'm willing to bet that you are not even allowed to have any "live stock" in NYC. It is my hope the spca or othe government agency tags you for what you are doing.
I also cannot believe your parents have let you get away with what you are doing.

Can you say: Gross negligence ?
finnegan

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »

that is the problem you do not have the space to keep them right the conditions are horrible you should try and find new better homes for them and only keep what you can give proper accommodation too Jim
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »

i searched for this info. online:
 "Provide a minimum of 3.0 square feet (1.0 square meters) of floor space per pheasant " I have two pheasant pens, one is approx. 7ft by 3ft the other is approx. 11ft by 5ft. And theres one female in the bigger pen and the male is in the other pen. The pens are bigger than 3 square feet for sure i measured the pens, the smallest pen is at least 20 square feet if not bigger. If anything i could put the other pheasant in the other pen.

quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »

3 ft is possible for chukars but pheasants will beat the crap out of each other in that small of a pen. You should have at least 15-20 ft with adaquate cover for them to hide and stay out of the weather and specs to prevent cannabalism. Even then you have some get beat up. Maybe 3 ft when they are like 10 weeks old but not full grown.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »