Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Holding Ringneck breeders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holding Ringneck breeders  (Read 14829 times)
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« on: January 05, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »

More to Steve but anyone who wants

Steve do you separate your breeders after nesting, colony breed or what ?

When last I kept Ringnecks  it was in a large floor pen in my barn, I am leaning towards keeping pairs in large outdoor pens just so I know what eggs came from who, I wont be looking for large numbers so thought of the smaller pens for pairs of breeders. Pens will have a lot of cover, nest boxes etc

How do you handle your pairs ? 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »

well for my ringneck pairs, i have the pheasant hens separated from the male pheasant, at the moment. Then about 4 weeks before the breeding season i let the male pheasant join with the females, feeding their breeder/layer diets. Sometimes i have to separate my females to lay properly, my male pheasant has a habit of being interested whats in the nestbox and end up breaking the eggs, reducing the amount of eggs i could set in my 'bator.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »

I have 2 females with my 1 Rooster (Manchurian Xs) 24/7/365, in a 8'x6'x15' pen. They have been together for over a year. First birds I bought. Both hens laid in the same nest and I picked them 1 in the morning and 1 at night. Never had a broken egg.
Maybe just beginners luck!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 06:54:02 AM »

More to Steve but anyone who wants

Steve do you separate your breeders after nesting, colony breed or what ?

When last I kept Ringnecks  it was in a large floor pen in my barn, I am leaning towards keeping pairs in large outdoor pens just so I know what eggs came from who, I wont be looking for large numbers so thought of the smaller pens for pairs of breeders. Pens will have a lot of cover, nest boxes etc

How do you handle your pairs ? 

No, none of my birds are separated that are in the general area. It seems that the cock birds and hens set up there own harem during the breeding season and they usually will stake out there land claim either in the flight pen or barn area. The hens that are in the harem normally set there eggs together in one big dish. I have had up to 4 hens in one dish at a time either sitting on or laying.

The only birds that I do have separated are the Melanistic Mutants. These birds are 8-10 hens per cock.

The left over less desirable(Melanistic Mutant) cock birds and hens are in the general population area. If they happen to x-breed, they are very easy to identify.

Any and all egg sales come from the general population area, so there can be true Melanistic Mutant eggs within an egg order, along with either Mel-X or Ring-necked-X depending hen/cock mating situation.

I would venture that 95% of the eggs I ship are Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants. I do get feed back from the people that buy the eggs and due hatch out on occasion either get true Melanistic hatch or the X-hatch. They also state that they would like more of those type eggs. Needless to say, that, I can't guarantee.

Jake, the though of having 15-25 square foot per bird for either a breeding pair or 5-8 hen to 1 cock ratio is not feasible either in construction of additional pens, and brooder pens.

Depending on the amount of hatching's you have you will be changing colored bands on there legs regularly, especially if you have more then a 10 breeder set up depending on hen to cock ratio.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »

Hi Steve
thanks for the feedback, its appreciated.

I am only going to be keeping 4-5 pairs, or trios, so pen space isnt prohibitive. Any of the Mels that hatch or crosses I'll put into the freezer.  I may hold 10-12 over the winter in the flight pen and then release them in the spring.  Might get a higher survival rate. I'll still be feeding them too. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:14:39 AM »

well for my ringneck pairs, i have the pheasant hens separated from the male pheasant, at the moment. Then about 4 weeks before the breeding season i let the male pheasant join with the females, feeding their breeder/layer diets. Sometimes i have to separate my females to lay properly, my male pheasant has a habit of being interested whats in the nestbox and end up breaking the eggs, reducing the amount of eggs i could set in my 'bator.

Sorry, I just have to.

birdlover, I was ready some of your recent posts and noticed that you lost your hen recently.  Well what is the above post all about.  "hens" I thought you lost your only hen.  You also said the death was due to the male being aggressive, but here you say you are keeping them seperated.  I thought you only had one pen. 

If you are going to comment, don't make a bunch of stuff up just to post. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:04:17 AM »

I think birdlover was talking about his golden pheasants, but I am not sure. We will just have to wait and see what he says/or makes up s80

Oh yeah, with my ringnecks I just keep them in a their breeding pens all year long, males with females.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:07:31 AM by Chukar Breeder » Logged
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »

Nice cover.  Thought so!!

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
lglenn

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »

You said back then that she had a breast thin and sharp like a knife, didn't you?  "but i can tell you that her breast bone was sticking out like a knife, in other words her breastbone wasn't plump you could practically see her breastbone showing through her skin.....maybe this can help."  never heard of cock pecking causing malnutrition.  

On the other hand, malnutrition could sure cause pecking.  even if the other(s) didn't peck her, they would likely pick at what was left after she died.

you also gave the advice  "Thats why you cant say i'll go to the feed store tomorrow and feed my birds, it might be too late then you'll never get them back."  which is strong evidence you knew it was your fault, and why.  otherwise it would be a very nonsensical comment (even for a city girl).

and... "Gee thanks Reeves,yes i know that my pen being too small probably caused her death, but my male pheasant was being overly aggressive,{[ because he, too was starving?]} i bet if i had a bigger pen with shrubs or cover in the cage, the hen would of hide in between the brush"  

If you knew this (only because others here had told you) why did you not do something about it, instead of wasting your time attacking and criticizing adults for being a direct part of the ecosystem of this world, rather than just hiring killers to feed you?

s176 s176 s176 s176 s176 s176 s176 s176 s176
lglenn

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »

And......  if the hens hide from the males, won't fertility drop, a bit?  Or do you have a special A.I. rig?
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »

birdlover 17. do you have any pictures of your birds or pens ?I could NOT imagine raising birds in queens NY.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

birdlover17 what did i tell you a few days ago.......STOP giving advice for atleast a couple months till you actually LEARN how to take care of your OWN BIRDS!!!! Then maybe you can give a little bit of advice....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:36:45 AM by Chukar Breeder » Logged
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 01:40:37 AM »

Is that a basement?  Where is the sunlight?

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 02:08:26 AM »

Weird set up, and as mentioned, where is the sun light ?
I want to see better picture of your pens.
Not just the "housing" portion, the runs as well.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 04:58:44 AM »

Are we seeking out a witch  c110 hunt here?  s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »