Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:31:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Boy did I mess up...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boy did I mess up...  (Read 14584 times)
KP777
« on: May 02, 2005, 07:44:19 PM »

:cry: After reading so much on this wonderful site, I think I really messed up mother nature and have been wasting my time. My kids found a nest of quail eggs, broke 4 of them, touched 'em, moved 'em around, etc... The consensus of my friends and I was that the mother would probably not return and sit on them since they had been messed with and had human scent all over them. So, foolishly, I had no idea about hatching eggs or incubators or anything, I decided to bring them home with me. The only incubators I found online were in the $75-$100 range and sorry, just don't have that kind of extra $ laying around. So for 15 days now I've had these eggs (14 of them--2 different kinds of eggs too, found in the same nest :shock: ) in a big spaghetti pot on a steamer insert to elevate them from the bottom of the pot where I keep about an inch of water. I have a leopard gecko so I've kept his heat lamp on the eggs with a thermometer in there that ranges from about 97-102 degrees. I've been occasionally flicking some water on them with my fingers (trying to immitate humidity) and I turn them 2x a day(every 12 hours). So, after reading everything on here, like I said I've probably really messed up mother nature and am wasting my time... The only thing is, some of them actually feel heavier/more solid... Should I face reality and throw them out or wait around awhile longer for a miracle? Everyone on here seems very friendly and knowledgeable, I'd appreciate any comments, feedback, questions, etc.... Thank you. :oops:
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:51:35 PM »

if it was me i would wait and see what happens.you never know what might happen
faro

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:36:39 AM »

I'd candle them and see whats going on inside, if they are clear...chuck em, if they are almost all dark....keep em
KP777
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 12:18:44 PM »

Quote from: faro
I'd candle them and see whats going on inside, if they are clear...chuck em, if they are almost all dark....keep em

Thank you for your reply. I have candled a few of them, some look like there's something dark inside. However, I may not have a bright enough light to see through some of them because I can't really see anything through the smaller ones. Half of the eggs are larger, more white with brown spots. The other half are much smaller, more cream colored with brown splotches. They look like 2 completely different kinds of eggs... Do you know if quail lay different sizes/colors of eggs or will 2 different mothers lay in the same nest? Thanks again for your response, I am really hoping for the best...
KP777
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 12:24:15 PM »

Quote from: gp
if it was me i would wait and see what happens.you never know what might happen

Thanks for replying. I really do have hope that something will happen. It's been 16 days, I'll wait to see what/if anything happens. I'm a bit nervous about the time though since I don't know how old they were when I found them. We'll be going out of town this weekend for 4 days (will have someone else come turn them) but I'm afraid of missing anything miraculous while I'm gone! Thank you again for your feedback!  :wink:
faro

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:38:10 PM »

Well, I would guess they are Gambels quail eggs, because you are in Arizona. They will take about 23 days to hatch.  Your method of incubation is very inventive, and may work during incubation, but during the hatch the humidity should be raised up higher than what you are able to achieve I think. Maybe you could put a lid on the pot.

The eggs are probably all Gambels Quail, the eggs vary greatly in color and amount of speckling. Each hen will lay the same color egg, but there may have been more than one hen laying in the nest...although they usually break up into pairs at breeding time.

Get a small "mag" light, one that fits close around the egg and shine it into the large end of the egg, by this time you should be able to see an air cell at the large end, and movement inside the egg. Make sure you are in a dark room.

Good Luck!
KP777
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 05:44:15 PM »

Faro,
Thanks for the great idea to try putting a lid on the pot! As far as the hatching goes, how will I know when that time is? Should I try a lid around 23 days or wait to see if they try to come out? Thanks again, I hope to atleast save 1, then all of this will not be in vein. Here in the Verde Valley we have TONS of quail, but I'd love to save some little lives. Thank you so much for your help.
-K
faro

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 08:11:11 PM »

Humidity is usually raised, and turning stopped, the last 3 days of incubation, so assuming YOU started the incubation process, and the hen had not started setting yet, then I would cover the pot on day 20.  However, if you see any "pipping" (a tiny hole from the inside out) then put the cover on then.

The chances of a hatch with this type of incubation is very slim, but if you think you see movement or development inside the egg, then it is worth a try!
topknot1
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 08:46:28 PM »

I would try putting foil or something over half the pot to raise and retain humidity, if you cover the whole pot with a lid I am afraid you will really increase the temperature and cook them, and trying to control fulctuating heat this late in the game is detrimental to the embryos survival.
A little prayer couldn't hurt!! Good Luck
faro

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 10:21:50 PM »

That's a great idea Topknot, I was assuming the lid would not fit tight to the pot, because of the lamp hanging off the side, leaving some airflow, but foil would be easier to manage.
klsquail
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 04:57:52 PM »

You could try putting a sponge or something to hold water in the pot, that way when the water evaporates you'll get the extra humidity.  You can also spray them with warm water every couple of hours.  If all you have is a big light try getting a piece of cardboard big enough to cover it up a use a paper punch to make a small hole.  That's what I did before I built a candler and it seemed to work fine.  Good Luck!
squirrelhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 10:24:48 PM »

should be hatching about now.
topknot1
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:24:12 AM »

actually if these are gamble they have a few more days to go before they hatch, any cheeping sounds yet???
KP777
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 11:59:45 AM »

You guys all have great ideas for keeping the humidity in, thank you SOOO much for your feedback!! Last Friday, 5/6/05, I bought a mini maglight and checked 'em out. I accidentally smashed one.... and yes, there was a chick in it...  :cry:  Of the 14 eggs I had, 10 are confirmed to have something developing in there. I was out of town for a few days and had my mother babysit them. When I got them back last night I picked one to candle and see what was going on. As I carried it to the closet I thought I felt something moving...  :o  sure enough I can see movement in there!!! I am so thrilled I can't begin to describe!!!  :D
So, today is 24 days that I've had them. I'm spraying with water often to try to keep humidity. I put the lid on the pot last night for awhile to see what it would do to the temp. and it dropped way too much. Also, I'm afraid of the lid not allowing oxygen in. The eggs are in the pot like I said at the beginning and the pot is in a cardboard box with the heat lamp clipped to the side of the box, not the pot. The foil idea is good, also the wet sponge. I will try both and see what happens.
I just want to confirm, now that I've had them for 24 days, do I stop turning them?  :?:  I wasn't sure so I did turn them this morning... I only candled one last night and did not see any pipping on that one. Also, should the temp be decreased now?  :?:  Thanks to all of you for helping me, I can't tell you how exciting this is to me!!!!  :D  :D  :D
topknot1
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 03:49:15 PM »

you should have stopped turning at day 20, so you don't need to turn them any more if it is day 24, do you hear any peeping, or see any pipping??? good luck sounds like you might get a few to hatch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »