Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Bobwhite variety crosses
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bobwhite variety crosses  (Read 5262 times)
333_okh
Expert Member

« on: January 19, 2008, 12:07:27 AM »

I was offered 200 of this upcoming seasons eggs from a local dog trainer that has bobwhite crosses between the Cunningham Mississippi Giant, Georgia Giant, and Jumbo Wisconsin quail. When he started he got the Cunningham from one supplier and Georgia from three suppliers and then two suppliers for the Wisconsin.

How many of you run bobwhites that are a blend/cross of the various breed strains?  I was wondering what I might expect from these on egg production and meat? 
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »

Expect nothing then you'll' be satisfied with what you get.

Thats the problem with mixed up lines, you can never be sure of just what you are going to get.

Maybe they'll be great flyers and maybe not, if the price is good, gamble, ifnot stick with something known.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

the first 200 eggs are free.

after that they are $0.35/per .

Kinda hard to beat huh?
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 08:01:36 AM »

No, not at all hard to beat.

Eggs from a reputable breeder, with no inbreeding, who collects his eggs early and ships them fresh, and stands behind his product is a FAR better buy at 55-60 cents per egg.

How long has this place been in business?  He has a pollurum and AI free stock?  He breeds his flock to avoid inbreeding? What do his customers say?

One of the first places to look for a breeder is the feedback column here for folks who are happy with their supplier and say why.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »

All birds have an ID number and are tracked throughout the life of the bird.  The genetics of the birds are added to a program used by the AKC breeders for proving dog breed qualifications.  As fare as vaccination etc., I will just say a few of the people on this site provided the stock for him to start a few years ago and that is how I found the site myself.

The birds and the pens are the best looking  and cleanest I have seen yet.  His jungle fowl are very interesting as are his francolins.   I will get the other bird species they have next time.  Some rare ones that he has gotten a lot of requests for eggs and has not stopped advertising, such as snowcocks...

That being said; I will only be taking the firs 200 eggs of the year for an upcoming trail even for a local gundog organization where several species of birds are used.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:43:10 PM by 333_okh » Logged
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »

who tracks them??

So you dont know if the birds or breeders are vaccinated? 

I hate to be so cynical sounding but I dont know of many producers who can afford to give away 200 birds, the margins arnt all that high in this business.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »

for now I think I need to stick to one strain and I am already reserving eggs for Butlers.  Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »