Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  collecting eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: collecting eggs  (Read 5960 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: June 22, 2008, 03:53:38 PM »

Is it better to collect eggs every day or let them lay a clutch and then get them all at once?
I have three hens that apparently are laying great. In a week there are at least twenty eggs in a single nest. when it gets that full then the hens move to another spot and start a new clutch. They don't seem interested in setting on the one they made. How long can you let them lay in one spot before the eggs are too bad to collect?
Would it be better to take all the eggs or leave one to keep them laying in the same nest?

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »

Is it better to collect eggs every day or let them lay a clutch and then get them all at once?
I have three hens that apparently are laying great. In a week there are at least twenty eggs in a single nest. when it gets that full then the hens move to another spot and start a new clutch. They don't seem interested in setting on the one they made. How long can you let them lay in one spot before the eggs are too bad to collect?
Would it be better to take all the eggs or leave one to keep them laying in the same nest?

3X a day if possible.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:38:32 AM »

when you leave them out there your hatchability drops like a rock as hot as it is..You also risk the chance of them getting broke and no one is turning them and they get dirty..In the wild gamebirds lay early in the spring when it is cooler and there eggs will be ok..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »

now that I know how i'm supposed to collect the eggs I might get better results.
First set if eggs hatched yesterday. Got 50% (13). j2 not bad for waiting for all of them to be laid before collecting. Next set is supposed to hatch on the 14th. Using my sons still air little giant bator for them. never hatched any in a still air one. Hope it works. 001

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »