Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:54:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Changing a Still Air to a Forced Air for the Turn-X Incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changing a Still Air to a Forced Air for the Turn-X Incubator  (Read 6079 times)
fishyflyer

« on: April 14, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »

Hello,

It's has been years since I raised quail.  Now due to business reasons beyond my control, I am now a stay at home Dad.  My young children are excited about the upcoming adventure of raising several groups of quail of this year.  Thus, I have throughly cleaned all the equipment and refreshed my memory with my collection of books and the internet.  What an opportunity for them see so much and for me to pass the fun on to a new generation  :?:

Anyway, I have my reliable still air Turn-X Incubator that I have hatched many quail and several pheasants.  Years ago, I think Marsh Farms offered an adaptable fan kit for this style of incubator.  Is there one today and if so where? 

Thanks so much..........

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:53 AM »

What an opportunity for them see so much and for me to pass the fun on to a new generation 

th3

I'm not familiar with that brand of incubator, so no help from me................and  s016.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:53 PM »

The best I could do was the replacement motor. Sorry  dk2
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24_30&products_id=273

Maybe you could use it as part of a custom fan kit.

The L/G fan kits are easy to find. Could you get one of them to work.
http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/little-giant--7200-circulated-air-fan.html

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
countryboy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:57:03 PM »

Im not sure that your unit can be adapted... I have the TX-7 Unit... automatic turner like yours... but also with forced air... it is an INCREDIBLE unit for the small hobbiest...  18 Chicken eggs... 48 Quail eggs

Here is my unit before I added the automatic turner

Lyon Industries bought out Marsh Farms & added their product line to theirs... you can view all parts available at www.lyonusa.com then click on marsh farms parts catalog... then the TX series and parts only link..

To be honest, I've never seen a unit that doesn't have a fan unit, so I'm not sure how old your unit is or if you can retro fit it.. but if not, I might be able to help you out... I might have an extra dome & motor cover for you that might work....

Let me know what you want to do and these are great small incubators!  My first one was a TX-6, then I sold it... then eventually had a chance to buy this TX-7...   

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:16:42 PM by countryboy » Logged
fishyflyer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

Thank you Countryboy.

I checked my records and found that I bought this Turn-X in 1983 !  (I still have a 1984 color catalog from Marsh Farms and this unit is called the "Mobi" (very similar to the Turn-X)) After years in storage, everything about this incubator is working perfect!  I did replace the wet wick and added two more thermometers (just in case).  I just had a hatch and the incubator varied not more than a 1/2 of a degree.  I have had good hatches but looking at the possibility to upgrade with a fan.

Sialia

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  We've been trained to believe forced air is better than still air and I guess all things being equal, it is.  But if you have a good hatch rate, I wouldn't touch it.  Years ago I had two styrofoam incubators- one still air and one forced air.  I bought a fan kit for the still air unit but never installed it because I was getting 90% hatch rates in it and a much lower rate in the forced air unit.  I later realized the thermometer in the forced air unit was no good, but even after raising the temperature I never did get as good a hatch rate as I was getting in the still air one.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »