Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:35:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  temps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: temps  (Read 5694 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »

Last year I used my incubator (GQF) and my thermometers read 99.5 to 99.8 most all the time. I set eggs five days ago and am using the same thermometers. This time they are reading 98.8- 99.2 most times. will this make the eggs hatch later, if so how many days later?
Could it be that the incubator is running that much cooler or would you suspect the thermometers?
The incubator was new last spring. This is the third time using it.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »

Could it be that the incubator is running that much cooler or would you suspect the thermometers?

YES

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:10:37 PM »

....be sure to let it stabilize for a day or two, including desired humidity before throwing in the towel.  I had 3 or 4 thermometers in my GQF, all read different and was driving me nuts until it finally stabilized and then all where very close if not the same.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:26:57 PM »

charliehorse has a good point (had to happen, eventually).

It could be either, of course, but most likely cause is a difference in ambient temperature.  Do you know if that is the same?  Is this a GQF Styrofoam, or cabinet model?  Is air flow the same?  Plugs in place?  Did you add warm, or cold water?

What reading do you get with your calibrated thermometer?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:03:21 AM »

That temp will delay your hatch a day or two. You must be using a thermometer with a battery in it. Change the battery. Put a new one in it every year. As stated by Wilder and Charley let it stabilize for a day or two. The whole thing has to heat up. Make sure that you put your water in it to get it set...and if you just cant get the temp any higher the eggs will hatch at that temp...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »

Still air or circulated? If it's still, maybe your thermometers are at different levels if you have more than one? Dunno if that could be it, just a thought. I am not the professional that these others are, but.....
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »

gqf foam, circulated air, cold water.
One thermometer is about an inch higher. Maybe I should place them closer to the center, they're pretty close to the edge?

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:52:11 AM »

gqf foam, circulated air, cold water.

Of course, the same principals still apply, there's just not as much to heat.

When I used the styrofoam deal, I'd get different temp readings just by moving the thermometer/probe up or down, side to side, even just an inch would change the reading.  There were always subtle differences depending on location.  The cabinet incubator was a blessing, made incubating alot more enjoyable and hassle/maintenance free.

charliehorse has a good point (had to happen, eventually).

::)

c109       s020

mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »

Yep, using ones w/battery. I have to go get new ones downtown.
That temp will delay your hatch a day or two. You must be using a thermometer with a battery in it. Change the battery. Put a new one in it every year. As stated by Wilder and Charley let it stabilize for a day or two. The whole thing has to heat up. Make sure that you put your water in it to get it set...and if you just cant get the temp any higher the eggs will hatch at that temp...

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

read 99.5 today. In good shape.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »

Good Luck with it!!!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »