Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:54:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Help quail dieing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help quail dieing  (Read 6620 times)
chickmatt
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:40:27 PM »

i dont know what is happening... yesterday i lost 2 and today i lost 5 . when they die their legs are stretched straight out. and i dont know what is happening. some of the larger ones looked as if they were walking on them so i seperated them yesterday. and this morning 2 died and by 2 or 3 2 more died... and i had football practice so when i got home about 8 i had another one dead except this one of the larger birds
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:21:55 PM »

I've never had what you are going through. But if it was one of my birds they would go for a necropsy. Now.
You need to know what you are dealing with to get it under control.
chickmatt
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »

i ment to say that the larger birds were actually still babys but they seemend larger than a few of the otherones and what is a necropsy??
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:46:42 PM »

Autopsy.
chickmatt
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:56:17 PM »

man i dont have that kind of money im only 15 and this is my first time hatching quail but they hatched fine and now i have lost 7 just today i started out with 30
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:26:26 AM »

Cheaper to get the autopsy done than loose all your birds. Also, it may be something that will kill all the next ones.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:27:13 AM »

Are they still in a brooder?  Getting hot or not enough water with the warm weather we're having it might be too much for them.  Watch for drafts too...silent killer.  I lost 5 adults last week in the hot weather - shade, water, etc just wasn't enough.  Your birds will tell you they are too hot or cold. If they huddle together, they need warmth. If they're on the other side of the box from the heat source, it's too warm.  And yes, when mine died they were stretched out. I think its the way their muscle contracted.

g'luck with them.

John
kat
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 08:59:33 PM »

How old are they? We have had 6-8 week old bobwhites and cotrunix in SC these past weeks with hot weather. They all have done well in their pen. Are yours still in a pen?
This is what I had just begun a few weeks ago:  I have been giving them a vitamin supplement from GQF [or whatever] because of the stress from the heat. I also wet lettuce leaves and they devour them. Some will also lay on them- I am sure they feel cool and damp.  [it is 99']  Also, I gave them a box of dirt for a dustbath and I couldn't replenish it fast enough. I think those things really helped them. They seemed so much more restful in the heat. 
I know it is now in the midst of crisis. These things might not help now. I am sorry and will pray for your birds,  as well as your heart. I know it just feels awful.
kat
chickmatt
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »

they will be a week old tomm or thursday,,, i dont know what could have happened... do you think they are old enough to go outside in the brooder, they are still inside the house
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:32:44 AM »

NO - lord no - do not put them outside yet by no means - it don't matter if it is 95 24hours a day they are going to need light for a good while still - as far as them dieing you need to get them on something like terramycin is always a good starter - but sounds like it is to late for that - so put them on neomycin. that should knock what ever it is out for at least 2 weeks if not all together - otherwise if you cant find that get them on some sort of a sulfa product they might have a lil bit of coci in them. Try the neomycin first and let us know - i am going to send a batch of chukar to Columbia MO tomorrow to try to find out what is wrong with them just lost a few but i know something is wrong and the price is minimal - and if you cant afford it then complain to your mom and dad and if that doesn't work go talk to granny and gramps they will sometimes help a youngster out. Good Luck
and if you can try to post and tell us the conditions of which the birds are in
- explain your brooder
 - what kind of feed? brand? protein?
 - well water or county?
 - how big is the brooder?
 - what are you using for flooring/ bedding?
that will help with some of the answers you get
Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
kat
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »

Oh, they are babies! Definitely keep them inside. It does help to know these kinds of things listed below- please do describe when you get a minute. How are they doing now?

quote<and if you can try to post and tell us the conditions of which the birds are in
- explain your brooder
 - what kind of feed? brand? protein?
 - well water or county?
 - how big is the brooder?
 - what are you using for flooring/ bedding?
that will help with some of the answers you get >end quote

also temperature, heat source etc
kat
chickmatt
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 11:52:19 PM »

it is just one of those like 100 gallon or so plastic rubbermaid container without a lid... and the container has holes drilled inside for air flow. winner feed... gamebird starter.. 28 % protein.. county water.. and i have some papertowls for flooring... and a lid full of sand... temp right around 90-95 degrees.. a 85 watt flood light
JohnInDixon
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 08:59:06 AM »

Is there a "cool" spot in the container that they can get away from the heat if it's too much?  The birds will tell you if they are too hot (or cold) by where the huddle together. Away from the light = too hot; directly under the light = they're cold.

Lose any more since they started?

John
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »

Is there a "cool" spot in the container that they can get away from the heat if it's too much?  The birds will tell you if they are too hot (or cold) by where the huddle together. Away from the light = too hot; directly under the light = they're cold.

Lose any more since they started?

John

Along the lines if there is too much heat like John speaks of, try freezing some gallon or 1/2 gallon jugs and put them in pen. Only if there is too much heat!  I used to do this with rabbits. My Golden Retriever likes a frozen gallon jug from time to time.  A word of caution: since you are using a "plastic container" be sure that you monitor the heat at the lowest point where the chicks are, because the cold air will lay on the bottom of container since it cannot escape.

Just a thought to defeat the heat if that's your problem!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 06:05:31 PM »

I have had the same exact thing happen to me. They died with their legs straight out, they could never dry off completely and peeped alot but never could really get up on their feet, they jumped around and stumbled all over the place. I have no explination however..... answer this question for me....

Where these eggs shippied?

If they were shipped... Did any break?

If any broke.... how many broke and how many eggs survived the trip?

How many eggs hatched?

How many did not hatched but had advance development inside the eggs?

Answer those questions for me and I will tell you what i think the problem was...

Thanks,
Chris

P.S JohninDixxon is a good guy :)

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »