Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:00:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  incubating eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: incubating eggs  (Read 3632 times)
smith ducky
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »

I've got a white dove who always lays eggs but can't hatch them because they are not fertile.   Thought I would try putting a quail egg in for her to sit on.  So far she's sitting but what will happen when the egg hatches, has anyone ever done this?
jbobs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »

I too had some doves this year that were determined to hatch some eggs, but her eggs were never fertile. For a joke I put a chicken egg under her and although it was almost as big as she was, she was determined to hatch it.Her legs were dangling over the sides of it but she was happy as pie. I took the egg away after a day because I figured she would never be able to hatch it and I was just teasing her too bad!

Many people have used pigeons and doves to hatch their quail eggs. I havn't tried it personally, but from what I've heared it works marvelous. I think you'd have to take the chick away when it hatches, though, because dove chicks are naked and helpless and quail run around. The parents would be pretty darn confused!

Jessi
J-Bob's Funny Farm
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »

Dove and  pigeons feed their young, Quail don't.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
chickmatt
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »

it should be ok though. as long as you keep cheching on the little quail. havent bought a incubator? that would fix that problem without having to worry about it. a incubator is alli use because some time hens can get a little protective for me. i have been collecting little chicks and putting them into the brooder and have the hen charge at me. and then she stayed under the brooder for a few weeks
smith ducky
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 01:31:32 PM »

Yea, I got an incubator and that's how I do my eggs but I felt sorry for my dove so I thought I'd let her try and hatch something!  we'll see hoe things go :laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:29:02 PM »

I used to raise Doves. They are hatching machines !
Put some roundish rocks in a nest one time. Felt sorry for them after 3-4 days of them sitting on them & took the rocks out. Not real smart birds.
I would skip the Quail eggs though. You do not need a Dove trying to puke into a Quail chick......
birdlover
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 01:46:14 PM »

Hi,
I raise about 19 doves in my backyard that had 2 babies so far, its normal for them to occasionally to lay fertile eggs.  I have also tried once to hatch quail eggs by the doves incubating them, they didn't hatch but i cant blame the dove, they did their part by taking care of the egg, the egg must have been infertile.  I would recommend you to try to place button quail eggs in the doves eggs , the other quail species lay bigger eggs than dove eggs, that the doves might see not sit on it since it looks unfamiliar.  You would  have to care for the quail when it hatches since quail chicks eat, drink, and walk soon after hatching.  Good Luck!!!
smith ducky
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »

She's still sitting on it!  I've candled the egg and it is fertile.  July 4th is the due date!   Her own eggs will never hatch cause I only have one dove and you need a mate, right? (to make things happen!)   I'll take the chick out if it does hatch, I just wanted my poor dove to be a mama once!! :laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »