Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Infertile appearence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Infertile appearence  (Read 7361 times)
kcgamebirdfarm

« on: June 16, 2006, 11:00:43 PM »

hey all
   i just wanted to bring this up because there is allot of controversy that goes on every year about this when people are shipping and receiving eggs.
 A Note For the Buyer - when you candle your eggs and it seems that you have allot of infertile eggs or maybe they are all clear this does not always mean that your eggs are not fertile - now a days eggs get handled so badly that is basically scrambles the egg in the shell. Another thing is allot of boxes are getting X-Rayed and that does not do them well at all. So knowing this most likely the eggs were shipped fresh and fertile but things just went bad on the trip. Eggs are cheap when you compare them to gas prices so just buy a few more or talk to the person that you bough them from and tell them the problem and suggest buying a new batch of eggs - most of the time as long as  you keep your cool the supplier is going to send them to you for free or some other good deal.
  A Note to the Seller - Keep your cool when people attack you and don't let just one person take you down. Its only an egg and you can only do so much.
    there is not much i can say for the buyer because there is to many different views on how to handle a situation but i imagine the ones of you that have shipped eggs will agree with me about the buyer section
Just thought i would say a few things on that case
Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:50:39 AM »

Yea I will always give the benifit to the seller no matter what. But if i get 5% hatch rate...something is definately wrong.

I just hatched 23/29 bobwhite eggs shipped from GQF. So really cant blame mailing for much. I think it weighs heavily on fertility. My final answer Regis.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:03:49 AM »

AGAIN  .....I  REST MY CASE
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 06:36:03 AM »

Read an article about the Canada Goose problem in the Toronto area. "They" would find the nests and give each egg a good shake and put back in the nest. This kills the egg & by the time the Geese figure it out that nothing will hatch, it is too late for another clutch. So not as many droppings to squish with their feet.  :laugh:
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »

Define "good shake?"  :laugh:

Well over the years of purchasing eggs online, I have always had ok fertility. So that's why I must conclude that the bad fertility batches are just that and not due to shipping. Not saying that shipping don't play a part but...it's prolly minimal.

The eggs I mentioned above is from Georgia to California.
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 12:53:06 AM »

well here is how i have come to find things out - lets say you have 4 give or take out of 100 hatch -  chicks are good and healthy and hatch on time - that is a fertility problem from the sender.
if no eggs develop 3 possibilities 1 - you have someone that is sending bad eggs ( slim to none ) 2 - buyer had incubator problems and 3 they got a good shake along the way or the X-ray
I got to the point if i have a bad hatch or none hatch - oh well its my loss
- I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT CHICKS -
I spent well over $300 in erkel francolin eggs this year and only got 1 to hatch - it was a bad year i guess i dont know but that is just a chance you take when buying eggs i feel
Kyle

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:42:34 AM »

how about if you buy eggs and never get them ?  what category is that under?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 09:08:09 AM »

how about if you buy eggs and never get them ?  what category is that under?

"Scambled Eggs" !
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:05:04 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »

My research through the medical resources indicate that the postal xrays are low level and have minimal effect.  The xrays at the airports for cargo are a higher intensity but still have minimal effect.  The effects would be more developmental problems, not sterility.  If you could track all the movement during shipping or the vibration from both road and air, that is probably more the culprit.  Eggs pulled and sent to two or three different individuals at the same time, two have really good hatches and one gets blanks, it's not a fertility issue.  I set test batches all summer and have never had a hatch less than 80%.  I hatch a lot of shipped eggs also and get from 0% to 90%.  I know the problem isn't the incubator, it is somewhere else.  I go with the effects of shipping for the main culprit.
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »

thanks for the words there gsc - clears a few things up and atleast someone is on my side.
jchair - the best i can tell you is see if the seller has a tracking number or something on the eggs. If so then they must be lost if they dont well - they might have lost it or the order may have got mixed up or something. What i would do in this instance i would see if the seller could re-ship if they did ship, if they did not ship then either ship them or get a refund.
- my experience - i was mailing a $20 check to the next town over for entree fees to the county fair and the lady finally got the payment 3 months later
    - i shipped a box of turkey eggs to a guy last year on april 27th and got the box back on july 8th - i tried contacting the buyer with no luck
    - i also sent a guy over 100 turkey eggs last year ad of that were 3 boxes and he never got any of them
go figure
Kyle

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »

Factor in "Shipped eggs with Great Fertility"

What would be the reason for that? Mail route with no bumps, shakes? Mail handlers that just gave that one special box extra care?

That's why I would conclude, start off with Fertile eggs and you'll still end up with good fertility under normal shipping conditions. (80%-90%+)
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 04:35:55 PM »

thanks for the words there gsc - clears a few things up and at least someone is on my side.
jchair - the best i can tell you is see if the seller has a tracking number or something on the eggs. If so then they must be lost if they don't well - they might have lost it or the order may have got mixed up or something. What i would do in this instance i would see if the seller could re-ship if they did ship, if they did not ship then either ship them or get a refund.
- my experience - i was mailing a $20 check to the next town over for entree fees to the county fair and the lady finally got the payment 3 months later
    - i shipped a box of turkey eggs to a guy last year on April 27th and got the box back on July 8th - i tried contacting the buyer with no luck
    - i also sent a guy over 100 turkey eggs last year ad of that were 3 boxes and he never got any of them
go figure
Kyle

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:18:54 PM »

thanks for the words there gsc - clears a few things up and at least someone is on my side.
jchair - the best i can tell you is see if the seller has a tracking number or something on the eggs. If so then they must be lost if they don't well - they might have lost it or the order may have got mixed up or something. What i would do in this instance i would see if the seller could re-ship if they did ship, if they did not ship then either ship them or get a refund.
    - i shipped a box of turkey eggs to a guy last year on April 27th and got the box back on July 8th - i tried contacting the buyer with no luck
go figure
Kyle
       go figure ,I paid for eggs last year and I am still waiting for them
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 12:38:53 AM »

hmmm
   that is a total bummer - sounds like you got the short end of the stick or something went wrong - well hey what was it that you had ordered from this someone - i will send you some eggs i think i might have a few to spare for a good upstanding fellow like yourself. And heck i wont even charge ya...
Kyle

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 09:39:17 PM »

Took a while to find this post:

He also says not to mark the boxes with "hatching eggs". He says mark them with "Fragile", "breakable" anything but hatching eggs. Not because there are any rules thru the USPS. It reduces the idiots that work there from shaking, dropping, damaging the boxes etc.

He says no matter where they are shipped from workers are getting abusive because of all the media hype over bird flu. They figure if they are damaged, unhatchable...that people won't ship them anymore.

Oh, He owns and raises chickens. PO's him off too.

Interesting, eh !
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »