Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 05:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Just set 2nd batch of eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just set 2nd batch of eggs  (Read 2849 times)
ncffp163
« on: June 28, 2006, 11:57:54 PM »

Hi ya'll

I just set 50 Georgia Giant Bob last evening. After all the bad luck (lol) I had getting my 1st batch of eggs, I found a guy 15 miles from me that raises 5-6 different species of quail along with wild turkey, chickens and ducks.

Eric
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »

Eric,
How did you find him?  Note on a Bulletin board in a feed store? Local paper? Might be interesting to see the different ways we "meet" each other.  I have a neighbor 2 miles away that raises hawks and he also raises coturnix for feed.  Different reason for raising them, but at least I have a different bloodline available and so does he.

Good luck with your new batch!

John
ncffp163
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 06:48:33 PM »

John,

Believe it or not, I was telling the guy that runs the county office mail room about my 1st batch of eggs and he told me about this guy that I got the 2nd batch from. Thanks for the encouragement John :)

Eric

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:47:31 PM by ncffp163 » Logged
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »

Oh how I wish it were that easy here.  Very little is available for gamebirds.  I've sold a lot of coturnix eggs this year to folks who decided it would literesting or who wanted to raise a few to train dogs.  I've sold almost all my ducks to a couple of guys training their dogs.  No place to buy eggs except to have them mailed and while not as expensive as your first batch...

Hatches have been great though.  My last batch of butler bobs went into the 80%'s.  My Gambel were high too.  I have a second batch of butlers hatching right now and I'm over 60% so far.  Pheasant, that is a different story.  They don't seem to make the trip up here very well.  Have more than one batch come up with zero.  I did find 40 eggs locally from a guy who runs a game farm before his pheasant started eating everything they laid and those hatched in the 90"s.  Good luck with this batch.
ncffp163
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »

Thanks gsc...Great hatch rates and Good luck with yours.

Eric
ncffp163
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »

Just took the eggs out of the turner this evening. When I got them, I had 3 that were cracked (1 that I didn't see), so I threw the 2 away. Candled the eggs at about 9 days or so, 4 were infertile and 2 more with blood rings. Took those out. Last Weds. I went to check the eggs and found the 3rd egg that was cracked had popped. Didn't explode, thank goodness, but gawd what a smell.... That left 41 eggs. Hatch day is Weds.

Eric
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 01:12:33 AM »

Last Weds. I went to check the eggs and found the 3rd egg that was cracked had popped. Didn't explode, thank goodness, but gawd what a smell....

I just took a very old woodduck egg out of the bottom of one of my nest boxes, while I was cleaning them out, which had been buried very deep by the hen.  I got it out with plastic gloves and put it in a plastic bag.  When I barely hit the bag on my pants by accident it BLEW UP. 

By far the worst smell I've ever experienced in my life.  Hope nobody else has to go through that. lol

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »