Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Adding fan to hova-bator?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adding fan to hova-bator?  (Read 7619 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: June 02, 2006, 12:33:58 AM »

Will a computer cooling fan work for a curculating fan in a hova-bator? If so they are really cheap on ebay.

mike
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:35:05 AM »

You can even get them with lights so you can see in your bator easier.

mike
ncffp163
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:52:29 AM »

Mike,

I bought a 12v computer fan (4.99) from Radio Shack. I'm using a 9v phone power supply in my Little Giant and it works just fine. And cheap too.

Eric
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »

thanks. I have a friend whi repairs computers and I should be able to get them from him at cost.

mike
woodenegg
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 03:12:04 AM »

The only thing I have heard is some of them build up heat so you may have to watch that and it may not apply to all.  Good luck
Ron
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:59:07 AM »

I was thinking of adding a 'puter fan to my incubator. Are they supposed to turn off on with the heat or do they run all the time? Where abouts would I mount it, I have an older GQF

Ron

« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 02:03:05 AM by Ron » Logged
ncffp163
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 07:07:09 AM »

Mine runs all the time
Andrew S.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 09:59:43 PM »

I've been reading all the posts about people putting computer fans in their incubators, and would like to try it in my Little Giant.  It is a lot cheaper.
 ncffp163 - you used a cell phone charger to power your fan.  Would a charger for a portable drill work also?  How did you wire it up - which wires go where?  You guys have some neat ideas.  I like to make homemade stuff, it gives me more satisfaction when it works.  Or should I say IF it works!

Andrew S.

Central PA
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 10:27:31 PM »

<<which wires go where>>

Ahhhh, those tricky words......Good thing about "tinkering" with DC current is you got a 50/50 shot out of the bag, it will do one of two things;
1. Work- if this happens, stop here....you are done.
2. Smoke- If this happens, stop here....re-load and reverse the wires on the next try.

To narrow the odds somewhat, start by connecting the black wire on the fan to the negative wire from the transformer/power supply and connect the colored wire (usually red or yellow) from the fan to the positive wire from the transformer/power supply.

P.S.  I run the fan all the time

Good luck!
David
ncffp163
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 10:42:54 PM »

Andrew,

I cheated a little...I got out my trusty volt/ohm meter and checked to see which wire was charged (live). What voltage is the charger for the portable drill? I had a 12v charger that I tried, but I thought the fan was a little too strong, so I used the 9v charger and it was a gentler breeze than the 12v.

Eric
Andrew S.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 01:51:31 PM »

I just checked and realized that it was an 18 volt.  I thought it was 12, but either way it would be too strong from your experience.  I guess I will need some other power source.  I read something about an adjustable power supply at like a Big Lots or WalMart? 
I'm not the most electrical oriented person you ever met, that's for sure.

Andrew S.

Central PA
ncffp163
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »

Andrew,

Do you have an old cordless phone charger lying around the house? Or maybe a friend that does? Big Lots may have them. Radio Shack has them. But...by the time you buy 1 from R.S. and the fan, you could just buy the fan that was made for your 'bator.

Eric
Andrew S.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 01:05:13 PM »

I will search around for a phone charger, I don't have one at the moment.  Thanks for all the advice!

Andrew S.

Central PA
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 05:14:57 PM »

I just happened to have the fan in my computer power supply quit running. I replaced it with the fan from my old computer. I have since taken it apart, cleaned it and re-assembled it. It runs again so I will install it in my hova bator as soon as it is empty in a week or two. That is providing that my quail do not start laying a bit early. I will let you know how it works.

mike
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 12:51:12 AM »

I'm getting ready to add the fan to my hova-bator. The only question I have is, which way to install it? Do I put it in so the air blows toward the eggs or sucks it away from it?

mike
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »