Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  90*F
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 90*F  (Read 8743 times)
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« on: April 27, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »

I was wondering what you guys do to keep your birds cool in the summer? We have had 908F weather for the past three days and they have been really panting. I put a small bowl of water in for them to play in and a frozen jug of water for them to lay against. Can they over heat very easily?  j10
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »

We have had 908F weather for the past three days

At that temp I'd have thought they would look like lumps of charcoal.   i9
Sialia

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »

Maybe even ashes.   j2

As long as they are in the shade, aren't overcrowded, and have plenty of water to drink, they should be fine. 
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »

as long as there is not direct sun on them all day let alone for most of the day they shouldn't be that hot and even though the only shade they might have is in a shelter that can still be like sitting in a oven stp1

Some times when it really gets hot in Colorado (which isn't that often) i will soak my birds sand box so they can get in and roll around in the cool sand.

But right now their not complaining about the hot days after this cold winter they had  s020

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »

Oh sorry I ment 90*F,LOL!!!! el23 dh1 I will try the making there sand wet. I thought of the frozen water jug b/c thats what I did with my rabbits, the quail do stand against it like they like it. They have shade even when the sun is shining in there cage they have pine branches to sit under.
Slayton

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »

We have a few weeks of 100+ days here in Texas every year. I have working on my dreams to get a gamebird raising business off the ground. But reading the 90 degree post gives me pause. I know that quail are more vunerable to illness and death when exposed to a  sustained draft, but will indirect evaporative cooling be an issue on my indoor breeders? I have read a few posts from arizona, so I know that raising them in my type climate is viable.. This post just scared me alittle. I am alittle over a thousand into this project and would hate to kill breeders aswell as my intial capital.

Thank you in advance.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »

90* is no problem for them...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jgalo

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »

Over 100 every day of August this year and the birds do find.  egg production slows way down and the partridge quit laying completly.  They do need plenty of fresh water.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »