Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:35:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Some shots of my birds (Updated on July 18th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some shots of my birds (Updated on July 18th)  (Read 22590 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 05:20:57 AM »

birdlover....if you had done your research, you would know birds kept in direct sunlight will badly fade.
Yes, sun is good for a bird, but not direst sunlight all day long.
As for yours, being kept under your Dads back deck, with very little light and room , is as I've said before : cruelty to animals

Reeves.... when i said that their feathers are nice in sunlight i didnt mean direct all day long..just the light from the sun. As for the room that pen has easily 65 square feet but i really want to make it more than this around 80 square ft would be even better. Hopefully by fixing the space problem and light the pen will be better.
Thanks for your help, Reeves i appreciate it j2

How much headroom do they have, and can they take flight?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »

You need a minimum of 150 sq. ft. for a small species like Golden.
For your's, I'd recommend a minimum of 200 sq. ft.

And as we have told you many times, if you do not have the room to properly care for the species of bird : don't get/keep them. To do so is cruilty to animals.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

How much headroom do they have, and can they take flight?
Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

They have about 2 ft of headroom and no they cant take flight, this pen has more length and width than height.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »

Every Galliformes, even every birds, should get the place necessary to fly, it's needed to keep them healthy. I know you want to do the best you can with your bird, but if you don't have the place, you're better to don't get the birds...

Thanks

Frank
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »

Every Galliformes, even every birds, should get the place necessary to fly, it's needed to keep them healthy. I know you want to do the best you can with your bird, but if you don't have the place, you're better to don't get the birds...

Thanks

Frank

Yeah its only a problem with the pheasants, all my quails and doves have room for flight, since their smaller size birds.  I just thought i would make up for the no flight by making more running space.  I might be going to a zoo soon in my area that i know has pheasants, i'll be able to see their pen and get a better understanding of how pheasants should be kept, i doubt that the zoo will have ringnecked they most likely will have the ornamental breeds. I can learn a thing or two there. I dont want to treat my birds with cruelty i'll do whatever it takes to help them out.

Thanks Frank!!

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

frank_lap_127
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

One of the best way to understand a bird is by reading about their wild habitat and try to reproduce the same. It might seems weird, but many people would think that because Ringneck pheasant are almost entirely field birds, that every pheasants are field birds.

Anyway, have a nice visit to the zoo!

Frank
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »

One of the best way to understand a bird is by reading about their wild habitat and try to reproduce the same. It might seems weird, but many people would think that because Ringneck pheasant are almost entirely field birds, that every pheasants are field birds.

Frank

Yeah not true not all pheasants are field birds, what have people really seen a red golden pheasant or ornamental pheasant grace a field before s020, their not a wild bird so why people think their field birds is wierd. Thanks  Frank i'll enjoy that visit to the zoo like i said hopefully i'll learn some things especially pertaining to the pheasants. 

frank_lap_127
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »

their not a wild bird so why people think their field birds is wierd.

Am I well understanding? Are you meaning that Golden Pheasants are not wild birds?  s85

Frank
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »

Am I well understanding? Are you meaning that Golden Pheasants are not wild birds?  s85

Frank

no of course their wild birds but not as wild as ringnecked pheasants, their ornamental.   

glenn-bob

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 02:58:46 PM »

Frank

Did you mean to say "they're not a wild bird, so why people think they're field birds is weird"?

Or did you mean "why people think their (own) birds is weird"

According to Frank's reply, he seems to think you mean that Red Golden and Ornamental Pheasants are not field birds.  I thought the Goldens were generally considered to be ornamental (at least in the West).

If that's what you're trying to say, I think maybe you do need to do a little more research (or perhaps, if I cared, I would need to).

Does this mean that since Lions and Tigers and Rhinos are displayed "ornamentally" in zoos, they are not wild animals, and do not "grace" fields (or Savannas, or Jungles)?

I was unaware that these birds had "evolved" in flower gardens, and back yards in China.  Thank you for enlightening me.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »

I think that Birdlover just use the wrong words. Golden are ornemental and wild birds, Ringnecks (and other commercial game birds) are more like commercial and wild birds... Some Common Pheasant sub-species are considered as ornemental, but the Ringneck that we see here, even if it's a beautiful bird, isn't considered as an ornemental bird.

Frank
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »

Frank

Did you mean to say "they're not a wild bird, so why people think they're field birds is weird"?

Or did you mean "why people think their (own) birds is weird"

According to Frank's reply, he seems to think you mean that Red Golden and Ornamental Pheasants are not field birds.  I thought the Goldens were generally considered to be ornamental (at least in the West).

If that's what you're trying to say, I think maybe you do need to do a little more research (or perhaps, if I cared, I would need to).

Does this mean that since Lions and Tigers and Rhinos are displayed "ornamentally" in zoos, they are not wild animals, and do not "grace" fields (or Savannas, or Jungles)?

I was unaware that these birds had "evolved" in flower gardens, and back yards in China.  Thank you for enlightening me.

What i meant was that not all pheasants are field birds.

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »

I think that Birdlover just use the wrong words. Golden are ornemental and wild birds, Ringnecks (and other commercial game birds) are more like commercial and wild birds... Some Common Pheasant sub-species are considered as ornemental, but the Ringneck that we see here, even if it's a beautiful bird, isn't considered as an ornemental bird.

Frank

Thanks frank, thats what i was trying to say, i need to think before i speak sometimes, hopefully that zoo will teach me something  s020  .
Yeah just because a pheasant is colorful doesn't make it ornamental automatically as in case of the ringnecked.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

What i meant was that not all pheasants are field birds.

Well, I guess not all humans are country mammals, either. (Just the smart ones  j2)

So, if Golden Pheasant aren't field birds, what are they?  Shore birds?  I really am asking seriously, now (except the shore bird crack), I don't know much about them except as pen, or "farm yard" birds, kind of like Peafowl.

was under the impression they were found in rice fields, along forest edges, and brushy draws, similar to the type areas the "wild" Pheasant prefer, here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:27:31 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »

So, if Golden Pheasant aren't field birds, what are they?   

Their wild birds or ornamental birds.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »