Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  HELP IMMEDIATELY Newly hatched quail laying lethargically
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP IMMEDIATELY Newly hatched quail laying lethargically  (Read 4090 times)
Quailer

« on: August 24, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »

Is this normal?  I have only 1 newly hatched quail and it is just kind of laying with its head resting on another egg.  I am really worried that something is wrong with it.  Any advise?  Also, this is the first to hatch.....Should I just leave it in there until their are others hatched to go into the brooder?  How long can the chick safely stay in the incubator?  Final question:  Should i take the red air plugs out of the incubator to help dry this chick, or leave them in so the humidity doesn't fall for the other chicks????  PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »

Is this normal?  I have only 1 newly hatched quail and it is just kind of laying with its head resting on another egg.  I am really worried that something is wrong with it.  Any advise?  Also, this is the first to hatch.....Should I just leave it in there until their are others hatched to go into the brooder?  How long can the chick safely stay in the incubator?  Final question:  Should i take the red air plugs out of the incubator to help dry this chick, or leave them in so the humidity doesn't fall for the other chicks????  PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Leave the chick be. It can stay there 24hrs without any problems.

Is the chick dry?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »

Leave the plugs in. You do not want the humidity to fall while the other eggs are getting ready to hatch.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »

Is this normal?  I have only 1 newly hatched quail and it is just kind of laying with its head resting on another egg. 
chick is fine. just exhausted from breaking out.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »

Yeh, they just look like they are ready to die sometimes. If there was something wrong with it, there's nothing you can do anyway at this stage of the game, short of calling a vet :???:  :eek:

They don't hatch and then take off runnin'.  :wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Quailer

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »

Thank you so so so so much!!  The chick in question is now walking around normally.  AND we now have 10 chicks!!!!  I cant believe it.  We thought they were all dead because the mailman delivered them to a hot mailbox and they sat in it for 5 hours in the sun.  Miraculously, we now have atleast 20% hatched!!  I will leave them in for 24 hours I think, since they are still hatching.  Plugs are left in, and I put a food and water dish in the incubator in case they get hungry or thirsty.  I will be gone to work until about midnight, so hopefully this will be fine.  Thank you all so much!!!  I appreciate you all!!!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 05:36:57 PM »

No need for food and water at this point, they can and will drown in water, especially right after hatching (they fall asleep/rest anywhere). The food will be alright, but get rid of the water!!!     Pronto!!  :police:

Wait until you move them/it to the brooding area for food and water, especially water!  :eek:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:56:58 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Quailer

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:30:02 PM »

We have 21 quail!!!  No new ones in the last hour.  They water has rocks in it too try to prevent them from drowning.  Is this okay, or still take the water out completely?  Thanks!!!!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »

Do not leave any food or water.  Adding any water will increase the humidity level, any food eaten at this time they could possibly choke. Let the birds dry. When you are ready to move the birds to your brooder, dip their beeks into water and then place the food into the brooder with the water. You have come this far, don't rush it. They have ample food in their system for 24 hrs or more.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:10:56 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Quailer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 01:39:25 PM »

Thank you again for all of your help!  32 birds hatched, 1 with broken neck, 3 with straddle leg.  We put the first straddle legged quail down, then this morning 2 more have it.  We used a non-skid kitchen shelf liner in the brooder which was advised, yet it still happened.  I guess our count as far as viable birds at this point is 28.  Pretty good when we expected 0 after the mailbox fiasco!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »