Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:05:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Help with New Brooders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with New Brooders  (Read 10024 times)
AA Plantation
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »

I have had good success through trial and error and alot of help with the advice from the members here.
Here is the new problem. Since chicks are hard to get this year close to me. I have to pick up new chicks this weekend and all my brooing boxes are full with 3 week old birds. I have to design and build something this week to accomodate the new chicks for atleast 2 weeks.
I am getting 2500 chicks on Friday.
My options are
1. to put them inside a horse trailer 12' x 7'
2. build a battery type brooder
3. build 2 or 3 4'x8' brooders to fit in the storage building
I don't like the discussion that i am faced with as the chicks consume alot of my time. I do want to have what is best for them.
However, if i don't take the chicks; i will never be able to get any more from them.
Time is a problem and i am the only one that can build the brooders. So completing this project in a few days is most important.
Need Advice.

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »

Well if it were me...I'd prolly just build a make shift pen. Quality depending on the time you have. Then I'd just move the 3 week old birds into it. If weather is warm still, they'll be fine. May want to run some heat lamps just incase.

Then you'll have your brooders available for the new chicks.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »

I'd go for the cheap and easy...............horse trailer is a great idea!  Cover one of the doors with a sheet of plywood and make a smaller door in the plywood to gain access to feed etc. without having to open the big doors and take a chance of escapees.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
AA Plantation
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »

Here is the horse trailer, It has large ventilation on each side with doors that can be opened or closed also the windows have bug screen.
How about taking a piece of plywood and and cutting it about 24" for a method to keep them from escape while opening up the door to feed and water.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:58:08 PM »

Yep trailor looks good.

Yes you could use wood/wire as mentioned to help keep the chicks from running out. Those suckers can fly very well at a young age.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:02:01 AM »

:eek:

Yeh, now that's my kind of horse trailer!   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
AA Plantation
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »

It is a good trailer to work out of.
You can put 5 horses in the back normally just 4
The middle part has 12 built in kennels with a door on one side and a ramp on the other. you can load the dogs and then load the 4-wheeler up the ramp.
The front has living courters but i use it for a tack room.
I used too travel all over the country running field trials. (Too much headache)
Now it sits during the summer until i start using it for dog training in the fall and  hunting in the winter
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:34:44 AM »

Or you can put them in my house, and I'll live in the trailer for 4 weeks!

Well, it's almost that nice.  You will, of course, power wash the inside, and disinfect it first thing in the morning, and fill it with running box fans, to dry it.  I figure you have already done this, but thought I would mention it for anyone who might decide to copy you.

I would install some red lights, or other heat source, just in case temps drop below 70 (sure seems unlikely today, but....).

Going through with a purchase, or sale sometimes can be painful, but I've also had to improvise after getting myself into a time bind.  I'm going to have to buy 3-6 week old birds, somewhere, several times in the next couple of months, due to poor planning, but, much like you, need to keep the customers, hoping for profits next year, or maybe this fall.

Good luck.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
AA Plantation
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »

Washed and Bleached and hopefully ready.
Brooder lights will be installed the day of.
Nothing Like the last Minute to get it done
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »

I was just this day looking at a "horse" trailer (not to buy).
80k Canadian. 4 horse with living quarters. One slide out.
Would work well for a family with quads out on week-ends as well.
Funny thing is, these type trailers are better built than the "motor homes" built for quads etc ! And cost less ! (the above one is a fancy one, also looked at one much the same for 50k...no, not buying....just at the trailer place where I bought my 18' "car hauler" to talk to the fella)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:37:28 PM »

Yeah, well, you know those horse people...........they got the cash!!  Otherwise they wouldn't have the horses!      Horses need a lot of cash!   :wink:

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 01:58:03 AM »

Nothing Like the last Minute to get it done

You say that like there's another way!

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 07:18:42 AM »

Is there? :laugh:

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
AA Plantation
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

The best thing about a last minute plan is a alternate plan or plan B
So at the last minute i thought this might work. If so what could be easier or more sanitary for 2 weeks.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:26:15 PM by AA Plantation » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 11:45:03 PM »

:eek:   The pictures of the creatures on the pools may give those birds some sort of anxiety complex?  Nice setup, but do those lights keep the temp high enough at that distance?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »