Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Buy and Sell
| | |-+  Mutation Bobwhite Eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mutation Bobwhite Eggs  (Read 6039 times)
setterman

Personal Text

« on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »

Taking orders for mutation bobwhite eggs which will include some of each....
snowflakes.....Silvers.....Butlers......Mexican Speckels.....Tenn Red Hens split to Snowflake and Mexican Cocks

12 Eggs = 15.00
Shipping = 12.00

Eggs will ship in foam...Starting in April and May

Send me a Pm if interested!

Raising quail and partridge for release or hunting parties!

Permit Breeder
KLAN29

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »

Why would you cross anything with the Snowflake,  what is your true thought process on this venture, or did you even have one ? Please take the time and think it over then post a reply, justifing your actions, and telling everyone on this site what a real quail breeder would do.
setterman

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »

All of these are true bobwhites! Just color mutations!...They are different breeds,and honestly I had some extra cocks with extra Tenn Red Hens,in my case,people by the birds for dog training etc and hunting preserves..Some people keep colors true...Just like the Snowflake,Tenn Red, Mexican, Silver ,Orange,Buff bobwhites,if people did not like these why did they not call the color mutation and stop breeding them.. I dont take this personal at all but it's just what I'm doing since they are all bobwhites!...I enjoy raising them and selling to my customers but for me its hard to even get 4.00 for a reg bobwhite let alone trying to sell pure snowflakes for as much as 75.00 a pair...This may not be the answer anyone is looking for but its mine..plus Im not cross breeding since they are all bobwhites....Thanks

Permit Breeder
setterman

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »

I also remember years back when I was hatching Mexican Speckles some of them came out as Snowflakes and other people started to get this then all a sudden it was a hit something different for people to make more cash on!..In your eyes and opinion I may not be a "REAL QUAIL BREEDER"...and I respect what you think,but I do not get on this site to bash anyone! Thank you!

Permit Breeder
setterman

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »

One other topic for anyone reading if you look at hundreds of Chukar hatcheries why cross a pure French Red Leg with a Chukar, usually to get a faster flying bird without paying the cost of a Pure French Red leg! Of course again my on thoughts!

Permit Breeder
KLAN29

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »

My intent was not to bash you, it was to hopefully open your eyes, if  you want to breed them as you are, thats fine, but when people who are looking for pure lines, they will never buy  from you because of what you are doing with them, If you want to get more than 4.00 a bird, I would suggest you abandon the project. or at least not offer them for sale, if you want to do some experimentation on colors, I say have at it but make sure they do not get away from you, butcher or sell to someone who will destroy them after they train the dogs, you may have all the best intentions in the world, but its others that you sell to that  will not understand  about keeping them pure.
If you have pure stock in the Snowflakes, you should have no problems in selling the birds, I have a guy looking for adult pairs right now and is willing to pay 50.00 a pair, (the price I get for mine), I put him on a waiting list for this fall,  you would not have to sell them for 4.00 a bird. I apologize for coming on a bit strong. Would you cross a Brittany, with a Springer they are both spaniels, Yes?
Steve
KLAN29

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »

As for the chukars and pure redlegged partridge, after a few years of breeding them, what do you have ? and after countless birds are released into the wild, where have all the pure chukars gone  ?
setterman

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »

You are very true and didnt mean to come across strong..I keep my pairs pure for any of the colors I do have ,but for myself and hunter friends that train dogs they dont really care what they are training!...
As for dogs you are correct to since I raise English Setters I would not cross it with a Gordon Setter even though they are all setters!...So I do understand what you are saying,and certain pairs I do keep true as anyone who looks at them can tell ...but birds for hunting...really why not they are being shot!
Thanks again!

Permit Breeder
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »

I remember a fellow on here crossing bobs with gambels, valleys, or blue scales.  Don't remember who that was. Once everyone found out most thought it was a great idea.  I believe I said that was a stupid thing to do but most didn't wanna hear it.  That seems like the census on this forum. But Mixing colors of bobs isn't all that big an issue like he said their just mutations not different species.  But like most things keeping them pure to color is a little more responsible.  But as long as he lets others know what he is doing when he sells the bird hes not doing anything really wrong.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »