Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:42:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  New or Existing Member's Section
| | |-+  let me introduce myself
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: let me introduce myself  (Read 3844 times)
olson4u2

Maia and me going duck hunting

« on: July 11, 2007, 12:13:12 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm Steve I am a falconer, I have two female peregrines Maia, and Eva. They are why I started raising quail and Chukars for falconry.(that and a friend gave me a model 4 Petersime) Last year I raised about 30,000 Coturnix, and 1500 Chukars. I added Bobwhites this spring and so far this year I have hatched about 500,not really sure about the market so I think I will take it slow with the Bobwhites. Anyway that is pretty much what I am about. I have been reading this forum for a while I just haven't posted much. Partially because I am pretty busy but mostly because you guys are always way faster and smarter with your answers.
Thanks for all the great info.(even if it wasn't really meant for me)  and hopefully someday I can help some of you.
Kindest regards,
Steve Olson
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »

welcome aboard. beautiful bird there in your avatar!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:37 AM »

30,000 Coturnix, and 500 Bobwhites is an unusual ratio for a hunter.  Do you flight condition some of the Coturnix for training birds?

Can't say anything bad about being cautious but the only reason the market for Bobwhites might be a little weak would be the good Grouse, and Hun populations you enjoy up there.  Even then, they should be in demand for dog training, and a few for preserves.  You might contact some of the preserves, and gun dog clubs within a half day drive to find out if they are having to bring them in from long distances.  If very many are, you have a market.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
olson4u2

Maia and me going duck hunting

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:24:06 AM »

I just kill and freeze the coturnix then ship them out ups. I use the chukars mostly for training, they are to big for the falcon to carry(very far) I raise them in an outside flight pen so they fly really well. The bobwhites I added mostly so I can Balloon train my new bird (Eva,a peals female) If I find a market close to home I will up my production. Next spring I am going to start some ring necks. They seem to be what the dog trainers want and I wouldnt mind turning some out on my dry ground.(with the permission of fish and wildlife) I was thinking about just building one very large flight pen( about 300'x100' and 12' high. then just turning every thing out, chukars bobs and pheasant. But I dont know how well they would do. Any input?
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 04:11:01 AM »

I tried that with pheasant and Bobs with bad luck. Anytime the Bobs got near a Ring the ring would kill it then move on. Hoods might had helped (they had blinders on but not hoods). Also Coturnix do not do well in a averiry with peafowl, they disappear fast lol. I would divide that pen into 3 sections and keep them seperate.
dusty
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 05:03:07 AM »

I have mixed when they are chicks.  But not as adults, you are asking for a blood bath.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »