Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:53:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  planting time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: planting time  (Read 3343 times)
backcountry
Expert Member

« on: May 06, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »

was wandering what to plant for my pheasants  the cage has bee planed to be 25X50 but its now 25X75 
should i go with just grass and clover or mix in some soybeans  wheat  oats
do know if it matters but the 2 sections for the pheasants are going to be 25X25 and the other 25X25 is going to be brokes down into 3 smaller sections for  grow out pens for the baby

if it ever stops raining ill get some pics of the framing (you will notice it looks likes reeves pens

while im thinking of it reeves how big of a house would you suggest for them and do you leave the feeders out side on in the house
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »

"House" doesn't need to be fancy like mine. Living down south all you likely need is some kind of structure that provides shelter from the elements: rain and wind.

You plan on pairs in each pen ?

My "feeders" are inside their "houses" as it prevents vermin from getting into them.

I build "houses" to match the bird species. Take into account their tail size and habits.

I plant Cedars in a north/south line. I had been planting a double line, but have noticed a triple would be better. Spacing has been about 2' ? In a staggered line, from the first line.
I then place the water dishes in this area of shade for the summer. When changing the water every day/second day during the summer, water just adds to what the trees need.
Good thing about the Cedars are the thick shade in a short time they provide.
My Reeves are in them all day long. They like the shade, and the cover.

The Amherst (I'm getting out of them very soon) house is 5' x 8' (outside measurements) will comfortably house the Satyr that will be going in that house.
At this time I have the Reeves and Golden in a 10' x 10' house, so 5' x 10' for each species. Reeves side could be larger, due to the male Reeves tail.
I'll be moving the Reeves when I get the next aviary ready, and his house will be 8' x 7'. (pictures in a couple weeks)

If I have not answered your questions , let me know....
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:04:48 PM »

Oh ya , planting !

Try not to plant anything you will have to plant again. I plant mine with several species of grass and clover. Clover will withstand cutting, if you cut the grass. If leaving, you can go with a long lasting (years) type of alfalfa.

Last year I let the grass grow in my aviaries. Birds liked it better, but to me they looked like hell.
This spring I had to go over it with the lawn mower with bagger. Then went over it with the thatcher blade. Raked it up, then used the bagger again, to clean it up.
This worked real well for a fast and good clean up.
(great stuff for the compost pile as well )
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:10:20 PM by Reeves » Logged
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »

as of now  im just going to have a trio of lady's and red golden
as far as bushes was going to go with hops but i will think about the shrubs  as far as shade there should be plenty the back side is at a tree line and also one of the ends and  a maple tree on the other side
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:29 AM »

Plant the hops on the outside of the pen, about 12 to 18 inches away from the pen bottom. Don't let them attach to the wire till 3.5 - 4 feet high.
If you let them attach before then, the birds will eat the tops and stunt growth. (learned the hard way)

With Amherst next to Golden you'll need a sight barrier or they'll fight through the wire all the time (males).

Goog thing about a Cedar "hedge" inside the pen, the hens can use it to get away from the male. With no hidy places the male will drive them nuts, and in some cases the male can hurt/kill hens.
Not so much the Goldens though. Amherst can be bad for that.

The Amherst male I have now is the worst I've ever had. Killed one hen and was working on the other. This was before snow melt, the hens had no place to hide. (he will meet his maker soon)
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »

there is going to be a 24 inch wide roof metal at the bottom of the out side and well as dividers  as far as wire im going to go all net much cheaper and easier to replace than wire

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=5
 is where im getting it from  going to seed the the area this week and i hope to also have all the 4X4 set  this week
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »