Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:14:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Found a egg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Found a egg  (Read 3909 times)
SportDog

« on: May 18, 2007, 09:07:54 AM »

Yesterday I went into the Johnny house that I have 27 Bobwhites in and to my surprise I found two nest that they have built one of which had an egg in it.

If I wanted to start collecting these where would you suggest I keep them.  I have an extra fridge in the garage but It wont get any warmer than 50 I believe.  I believe I read that the Ideal temp is 55, when searching the site.

Where do you keep your eggs waiting for incubation?
Thanks In advance.
txhoghunter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

I keep them in containers on a shelf inside the house, cool and dark, refrigeration can be too cold, but I know some guys do it that way.  For me keeping them in at room temperature, as long is it doesn't get about 75 or so works well.  You'll want to turn them, or at least shift their position once/twice a day also.

Tim
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:36:02 AM »

For me... Dark corner of my cool basement in an automatic egg turner going since you want to keep turning them while you're waiting.

John
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »

80f is too hot. They start & then die when the temp goes below 70f.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=3112.0

the above has more info....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 08:22:02 AM by Reeves » Logged
SportDog

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »

So if it has been in the Johnny house for 1-3 days in Temps as high as 78-80 it has probably started?
Thanks again.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »

They may not if in the shade ? Are you collecting them, or leaving for them to try & hatch ?
SportDog

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »

I dont know.
That is kinda what I was trying to decide.  From what I have read they probably wont incubate them.
But if I cant keep them good until I get a few then I probably will just leave and see what happens.

What are your thoughts? 
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »

The birds will keep laying until they see a good size clutch and still in season. So...you can collect as many eggs as you want to daily and store them. Then when you're satisfied, stop collecting and leave the bird to see if they will hatch out their own. If you going to be collecting a large amount...you may want to give them some calcium suppliment like crushed oyster shell.

I have stored my eggs in my Fridge and it worked fine. i have seen my temp get down to 45 on cold days and eggs still fine. Just try not to store them too long or the fertility may drop. I just kept the eggs in the plastic egg holders and every now and then, when I remembered, flipped the whole egg holder. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:03:32 PM by aKirA » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 01:39:21 AM »

Oh I would like to add that if you are concerned your fridge is too cold, you can always store the eggs in one of the fridge compartments/drawers where it would be warmer. Or put the eggs in a box then in the fridge. This will prolly reduce the coldness by a few degrees.

Im assuming your fridge does not have a temp control?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:25:02 AM »

I had to edit my first post , from 70 to 80f. Opps !

SportDog & aKirA, rather than re-post the info, please read my first & third post here: http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=3112.0
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »

Thanks Reeves. Yep that's some good info and that's the thread I been using for reference.  :laugh:

Unfortunately, the fridge is my only option. I have no basement, no house AC, nowhere with stable room temp in the desired range. Temp can get anywhere to 80+ inside during the Summer. So just sharing my short experience using the fridge to store. 
SportDog

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »

Thanks Reeves and aKirA.. Great Info from both of you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »