Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Wierd chick!?!?!?!?!?!?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wierd chick!?!?!?!?!?!?!  (Read 3275 times)
6x6archeryelk
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:34:54 PM »

3 weeks ago I hatched 12 out of 16 chicks right on time 2 more had picked huge holes in the eggs but didn't cut their way out. I could see they were still alive and moving but it was like they were stuck. I waited 36 hours before helping them out. The first one out is doing great and everything is fine. It's the second one that is weird. We had another hatch this week and the last one I helped out is no bigger than the ones hatched 3 days ago. He has full wings and is running, playing ,eating, drinking, and living right along with the chicks he was born with he's just not growing. He had cronic pasty butt till I changed the feed. All the others are huge compared to him but they don't attack him or anything. I was just wondering if anyone has seem anything like this before or has any opinions on what I should do.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 08:53:20 AM »

As long as he's eating and drinking, there's not much more you can do. My experience with chicks that don't hatch on their own seems to most generally be grim. Plus, it also sounds as though the others have had a couple days head start on that one too.......chicks change alot in just a couple days!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »

As long as he's eating and drinking, there's not much more you can do. My experience with chicks that don't hatch on their own seems to most generally be grim. Plus, it also sounds as though the others have had a couple days head start on that one too.......chicks change alot in just a couple days!

I have had the same thing, I don't even bother trying to help them out anymore. The chance of survival is like only 10%.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
6x6archeryelk
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:59 AM »

Update:   The chick is still alive and seems fine just small. It is now 6 weeks old and is the same size as the ones born 2 1/2 weeks ago. It is now almost fully feathered. I guess it will always be smaller than it should be.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »

It was the runt of the litter :laugh:

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »