Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Follow Up: My own Shooting Preserve
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Follow Up: My own Shooting Preserve  (Read 4738 times)
redlevel

« on: May 24, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »

Since I made that post three years ago I have done a good bit of work on my little private "preserve."

One of the most useful management tools for quail in the South East is fire.  Even the wildfires that are raging in S. GA and N. Fla now will eventually benefit the wildlife.  Here, I am conducting a controlled burn on some planted pines back in early March, before it got so dry.

I cleaned up several badly overgrown hedges that had too many "junk" trees and other undesirable vegetation.  I'll plant them to Egyptian Wheat and Proso Millet this year, then encourage growth of desirable food and cover vegetation.

Food plots and open fields will be planted in RR corn, Egyptian Wheat, Browntop Millet, Dove Proso Millet.
Here, a truck is spreading lime ito get the ph up to a desirable level

I use an old Ford Tractor and a new Farmtrac tractor to prepare the plots.

This picture was made in January or February '07.  The cover is wheat that was planted in November 05 and allowed to stand all Summer.  I'll eventually have this field of about 7 or 8 acres in a rotation of food plots and early successional vegetation, up to four year old cover. 

These pictures are a group of us working bird dogs last Winter.  That's what it is all about!!

A short-hair says, "they're right here, boss!"

My Llewellin Setter Chipper points as a young hunter goes in with his BB gun.  His proud Grandpaw is watching.

Chipper on point.  His girlfriend, Scratch backs.  She now has seven pups sired by Chipper.  He is a Llewellin, which is an English Setter.  She is an English Setter.

I'll keep you posted.  Nothing like birddawgs and quail.

Mark

Mark

"Georgia on My Mind"
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »

Now that is nice!   

Is that an 800 series Ford Tractor?  I've got a 860, best all around tractor I ever had, excellent mowing machine.

Thanks for the Pics!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:57:42 PM »

what part of Georgia are you in? My wife is from there and we even lived in Moultree for a year.
Dusty
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »