Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  How should I draw (gut) quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How should I draw (gut) quail  (Read 5544 times)
HydraMuse

« on: September 30, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »

I have just been presented with 10 quail, freshly shot this afternoon. They all look cleanly shot and I thought of putting them in freezer bags (feathers, insides and all) until I want to cook them. Can anyone tell me if this is okay? And also, once out of the freezer and feathers removed, should they be gutted before cooking? And (I'm sure you can tell I am a complete novice), if they should be gutted - how on earth does one go about it please? Any insights (blow by blow instructions for preference) would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:32:24 PM by HydraMuse » Logged
glenn-bob

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »

Oh MY ....

Don't freeze, or refrigerate whole, if you plan to use them for human consumption.

Many, here could show you in about 7 seconds.

Describing it might take half hour.

Search google for "field dressing game birds"  hopefully there is pictures

I'll try in another post
HydraMuse

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »

Ah ha - I thought it sounded an odd idea (even if convenient) - thanks for the tip about the right thing to search for.
glenn-bob

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »

Since you have never done this, and I assume don't know some old guy who has, or raises chickens, it best to skin them, first.

Cut wings at body with diagonal cutters, or poultry shears.  Same with head, cut leggs at top of scaly part.

Tear, or cut skin at back, or breast by first pulling away from the body and inserting knife point.  Peel skin toward head, and toward tail (which you will also cut at body).  

Open the chest cavity open by slicing just below the edges of breast, on both sides. and around the point near th vent.  Reach in with two fingers, and thumb.  Grasp the heart/gizzard and pull.   This will bring almost everything out.  Let it all hang out (haven't said that for a while).  Make a cut on each side, near where intrails are still attached, and cut out the vent.  Or you can also cut off the tail, at this time, removing everything.  

You may have to go back in to remove the heart, or little bits of esophagus, and scrape chest cavity clean, but this is most of it.  Rinse, and cook, soak in salt water in refrigerator, or freeze in zip lock bag.

This may be hard to ubnderstand, if you have zero experience, but I think everything is covered.  Everything goes smoother, while still warm.
HydraMuse

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »

Glenn-bob you're a star - thank you! Worked perfectly. Very yucky job so just had to wear pink marigolds and have a large drink first (and another one now!). 10 quail all perfectly skinned, drawn, trimmed and sitting in the fridge ready to be cooked tomorrow - PERFECT - again thank you.
glenn-bob

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:37:52 PM »

I thought you might be a girl.  I never "had to have a drink before the job" have sometimes during, if dressing 20-100.  Very often after.  I may have to add that to the instructions, if the question come up, again!

Limit of ten?  Texas, I suppose.
greyghost
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »

Glenn-Bob, why the soak in salt water? Is this for flavor? Also, do you freeze in zip lock bags with water? I do this with Quail and fish fillets . They last longer this way. My opinion.
glenn-bob

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »

Glenn-Bob, why the soak in salt water?

Because Mom did it.

It seems to draw out some of the blood, especially around shot wounds on wild birds  Yes, and flavor, to plus it probably helps to kill germs and wash away "stuff".

But mostly the first reason.  I have use the vaccum sealers (bid one) and the little hand held with the special bags with valve seem to work easiest.  Never tried them with water added bvut should work great.  I don't store birds vey long.

marvinmckenzie

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »

I rinse in salt water just because it seems cleaner!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »