Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  thinking about going big
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: thinking about going big  (Read 6713 times)
backcountry
Expert Member

« on: November 18, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »

well im thinking about trying to make a run at going big
what i would like to know is  how do you guys do your birds (keep then separated or ???
any ideas on anything would be helpful
maybe a few pics of your grow out pins

thanks all

tim
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:25:31 PM »

If you don't mind...Can you clarify what your definition of "BIG" is?  What species you plan to raise?  For what market? Etc?
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »

quail (jumbo brown and bob's) will be my main but will also have ring neck and chucker
hmm big would like to have a nice bit of income 500 week  to help with things
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »

Do you mean another job that pays $500 a week and then the birds as a sidejob?   :grin:

I'm contemplating doing the same right now and am looking at about a $15,000 investment to expand my pens, buy eggs, equipment, marketing, licensing, plus the major expense of feed prior to being able to sell any birds at maturity.  That isn't quite the total expense but I hope to have sales to have the money to finish the remainder of the birds.  I am looking at raising about 2000 pheasant and 1500 chukar. 

I have not decided, yet, if I am going to go through with the expansion, but I have run all the numbers I can think of to make sure I know what it will cost to do this.  I raised about 250 pheasant and 300 chukar this year and the pheasant reach maturity in a week.  I plan on going to a handful of game farms and giving them a few birds to take out themselves along with a brochure with my price list.  You can sell your birds as cheap as you want but if they aren't good flight birds, nobody will buy.  Game farms need top quality birds or they lose their customers, trainers need top flight birds or they can't train.  I've already sold a bunch of chukar and they did well and am waiting to see how customers like my pheasant.  If I can't guarantee sales, no expansion.   The first thing I suggest if you plan on going "big" is making sure you have customers that are willing to buy.  Otherwise, buy a big freezer  :grin:

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
bugflipper

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »

There is a very high overhead as this gent eluded to. Truly the first step is to ensure the market is there before you even consider going big. Another thought is ornamental pheasant or ducks. They sale pretty high per mated pair. Sadly many game bird operations fail due to the very high overhead. Unless there is a market for gourmet, hatchery chicks or a hunting preserve near for finished birds,,,,,, a large step can be dicey.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »