Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:27:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Newbie: I want to raise a small number for fun, HOW?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie: I want to raise a small number for fun, HOW?  (Read 2807 times)
chrysostom77
« on: August 04, 2004, 02:21:01 AM »

Howdy

I am interested in raising a small number of these little babies for fun. I've seen the "chick-bator", the little incubator with 4-6 eggs.

Are those things worth it? What are the chances the eggs will hatch?

Also, what do you do if they do hatch, and then mature? (I live in California). Do you sell them, release them, or what? (Im not hungry)

Where do you keep them if they are 12 weeks old and can fly. Are you supposed to have some giant cage? OR do they just 'roost' or something in the back yard as long as you dont scare them?

Also, i've never been to a 'feed store'. Do they have incubators and eggs there, or just feed?

I've tried asking these questions elsewhere and gotten no answers.

Thanky
muttsburg
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 10:32:21 PM »

Hi chrysostom77

If you go back to the home page and choose Propagation at the top of the page there is a lot of good information there. Also read the messages in this section and also the Brooding and Raising section. There is a lot of good information here and once you read the basics and still have questions the people here are more than happy to help out.

Right now you have so many questions, where would we start? I read for 3 weeks (in the old forum)  before a question came up that I couldn't find an answer for.

There is also information on where to buy your equipment.

Hope you decide to do it, it's VERY interesting !! And a lot of fun :wink:
pgbirdman
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 12:04:15 AM »

You'd want to hatch more like at least 12, as to allow for ones that will not hatch, or are not fertile.  Find out everything you can from this site and just "dive in".  I think a lot of others in the forum would agree, its like driving, swimming or fishing... practice makes perfect!  Once you know the basics, you'll soon learn everthing else.  Also I don't know of any feed stores that sell fertile eggs.  Look for a local who has them for sale.  Many feed stores do sell live chicks though, through one hatchery or another.  In California you can set them free but check your local bylaws first!
birdman182
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:46:03 AM »

ok i went to the pet store about 23 day ago and the lady that was working there wnted some eggs so i gave her some she had that chick bator and out of 5 eggs 3 hatched that is pretty good for that little thing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »