Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  Pair vs Trios
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pair vs Trios  (Read 3536 times)
astronoc

Personal Text

« on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:44 AM »

I am new to buttonquail keeping but I have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks.   I had 2 breeding trios which were set up by colors (light vs dark).  In the "dark" pen, one of the females (double factor blue face) started picking on the other female (red breasted female) who the male kept paying attention to.

I had seperated her and she is now by herself.  I was thinking of adding another male in there from a different line once I find it.  Will it be an issue if she is there by herself for a couple of months?  Do they really care?

My "light" trio is working out fine so I am wondering what the general experience is... is keeping a pair better than a trio? Can females get aggresive if a male doesnt pay attention to them or am I humanizing their behavior?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »

There are members here that seem to be able to colony breed Quail all the time.

I've never had that "luck".
Every time I have more than a pair, fights happen with them.
Only time I've had luck with trios, has been with Pheasants.
Except Amherst. Had two hens go broody within a day or so of each other.
When the first hen's eggs hatched, the other one went balistic and killed the newly hatched, as well as the hen. Then continued to hatch her own.

My Reeves are the last trio I'll ever keep.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »

the only trio i ever had was a trio of chukar and they killed one of the hens for no apparent reason but im going to be getting two new trios this upcoming week for the first time again so we will see how it goes

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
TENNESSERED

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:23:25 PM »

I have raised buttons in pairs, trios and in colonies.  I have had the best luck in colonies.  Right now I have about 20 birds in my main colony cage which is about 4' wide by 3' deep.  there are 3 small nest boxes in the back so the birds have a place to escape to from other birds.  For the most part they seem to be happiest in a colony even though I have read that in the wild they spend their time in pairs.  In the past I have had a couple of white hens which liked to pick on their male (in a trio cage).  I took a small pair of clippers and took off the sharp end of their beaks and that seemed to solve the problem.  Good luckm  I am sending  you a picture of my colony cage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »