Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:43:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Pedator Control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pedator Control  (Read 20704 times)
Buckbriar
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:23:32 PM »

We had a bad snow/ice storm around Christmas, after a few days of not being able to dig down for mice, the coyotes got hungry and broke through my flight pen killing 31 quail.  I plan to put a strand of electric fence a few inches above the ground around the flight pen and brooder this spring to prevent another occurance.  Anyone have any luck with this method of predator control?  Also, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to construct a narrow shelf around the inside of the flight pen about 6 feet or so from the ground, hoping the quail would fly up on the shelf if predators get into the pen.  Thanks in advance.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:29:03 AM »

We have not one but two strands of electric fence around our cages and also around the rabbit pens also. Mainly for coons but coyote's are an issue also. Works great just remember to check every so often to make sure they are working.

Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:30:05 AM »

sorry I don't know about the shelf idea. usually the predators get them while they are sleeping but you might give it a go, let me know if they use it.  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
penny's dad
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 06:01:53 PM »

Quote from: Fivehollers
sorry I don't know about the shelf idea. usually the predators get them while they are sleeping but you might give it a go, let me know if they use it.  :D
Hey guys down here in south Alabama we always put a small shelf in the fly pen the quail will learn to roost on it all the time. We have 1 pen that has a tin roof over it with rafters and wires under the rafters for the lights and the quail will roost on the wires like a bunch of starlings. I think its worth a try.  P.D. :  :D
Buckbriar
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 07:30:59 AM »

Thanks Lori and Penny's Dad.  I'll let you know how it works out.
Hinkjc

www.thebonegrinders.com

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 06:58:08 AM »

You could also try a baited #2 victor trap(set out away from your pens). Or a local trapper my be able to help you.

Charlie

~~~~~~
Buff Orpingtons,
Btm Black Orpington,
LF Modern Araucana,
Lavender AKA Self blue Orpington project,
Lavender AKA Self Blue LF Araucana Project,
Wild Eastern Turkeys,
Butler Bobwhites,
Pure White bobwhite,
Edwards Pheasant
Mutant pheasants
squirrelhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

The shelf idea does work for quail, I've seen it done and have done it myself. The quail will learn to sleep at night. As for the coyotes, landmines are a good option.
penny's dad
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:55:56 PM »

I PREFER A 243 AND A Q BEAM   P.D.
bobwhite
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 02:59:14 PM »

Trapping may be the ultimate answer to coons and such. But be sure to check with your local or state game officios as to how to go about it in a legal way.
finch55555
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 10:29:52 AM »

Hi
Sorry to hear about your coyote problem. I live in Surprise Arizona, and we have lots and lots of coyotes. I found a way to make them stay clear from our small ranch. I go down to the local Zoo and get some mountain lion poop and spread it around our property line. The coyotes smell it and get the hell out of there before the mountain lions get them (or that is what they are thinking hahaha).Guess what? NO COYOTES! Mountain lions are coyote’s natural predators.

Also take your electric fence line and go around your property line 6 inches above ground. We have done this and have stopped rattlesnakes from coming on to our property. I don’t know why, but it works. Who cares as lone as it does? Arizona has a few rattlesnakes. MAN DO THEY!

Hopes this helps and good luck!
penny's dad
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 06:04:10 PM »

DOWN HERE IN LOWER AL. WE WOULD HAVE TO PUT THAT FENCE ABOUT 3" ABOVE GROUND OUR RATTLERS ARE ONLY ABOUT 6FT LONG AND 4" THICK.   P.D.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 01:15:14 PM »

if your pens are at ground level  i use chain link fence that ibury about 10 inches deep then put metal roofing  up about 2 feet high next to the fence works pretty good  prefer a.17 cal for the varmits that cannot take the hint with the fencing
koboa

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 03:14:29 PM »

Trap and kill thats what I do

JK III
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 11:51:07 PM »

I have been a trapper for more than 20 years and I have experience trapping just about any north american furbearer. If I can help in any way let me know.

mike
Fencerow
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 11:16:16 PM »

Foolproof:
We have kept bird-friendly dogs tied at night just outside our
chicken house & poultry yards for years.  Frustrated coyotes are
all around us, and sometimes we hear them right next to
the house, but thank the Lord they have never touched
our birds.  Occasionally we hear our dogs telling the coyotes
what they'll do to them if they come any closer, and apparently
the coyotes believe them.
FR