Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  eggs hatching?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: eggs hatching?  (Read 5429 times)
Dean

« on: March 07, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »

s85I bought GQF Genesis incubator, it came with 30 bq eggs, and egg turner. i got it all set up let the eggs warm up for only four hours (didn't read previous post on here about waiting 12 to 24 hour for shipped eggs). Any way yesterday was day 21. So I moved them from the turner to the shipping carton in the bator (read that post and the thread) thanks! well when I moved them some were already pipped. Now the Question How long do they take to hatch after they pip? cause I see little progress in the last 8 hours.
      Dean
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »

s85I bought GQF Genesis incubator, it came with 30 bq eggs, and egg turner. i got it all set up let the eggs warm up for only four hours (didn't read previous post on here about waiting 12 to 24 hour for shipped eggs). Any way yesterday was day 21. So I moved them from the turner to the shipping carton in the bator (read that post and the thread) thanks! well when I moved them some were already pipped. Now the Question How long do they take to hatch after they pip? cause I see little progress in the last 8 hours.
      Dean

Give it another 24 hrs if you want, then toss them. More then likely any of them hatching after 10 hrs will have difficulty surviving.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Dean

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

j2 well, now there are 5 chicks ! but this is only day 21. the info says they shouldn't hatch until day 23-24. also seem to be hatching from one end of how they were in the turner, I put them in the carton in the same order. you wouldn't think you would have a hot spot in a forced air incubator.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »

you wouldn't think you would have a hot spot in a forced air incubator.

You will in all incubators (I think...I've never used the big ones used by persons hatching by the thousands)

Back in the old days when I used incubators, I'd move the eggs to a new location in the incubator when I candled eggs at (about) day 7. Again at day 14 (Pheasants).

Made for a more even hatch.
Don't be afraid to open the incubator during incubation. Hens leave the nest for long periods of time .
The time where you do not want to open them, is during hatching. The loss of humidity is not a good thing, during the hatch.

Read my sticky topics in the Incubation secton.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »

I do the same as Reeves had mentioned...........move them around in incubator when candling.

I put them in the carton in the same order.

Did you put those in a carton to hatch?    :-|

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Dean

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »

Yes, when I took them out of the turner I put them in shipping carton(flat) for hatching. there was a post and thread here some where that said this would increase the hatch. As the carton holds humidity and keeps the eggs point down.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 12:25:05 AM »

Yes, when I took them out of the turner I put them in shipping carton(flat) for hatching. there was a post and thread here some where that said this would increase the hatch. As the carton holds humidity and keeps the eggs point down.

I'm not saying that you're wrong. But I have never read or heard tell of such a thing. I've known them to be used for incubating........but not hatching.  You're suppose to lay them on their sides.

Others will correct me if I'm inaccurate.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:38:45 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

Both ways will work.
But eggs in their natural state are never pointy end down. They are always on their sides.

Seems to me I posted info on how a chick will orientate it's self when/during hatching ?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:49:30 AM »

I think you may have misunderstood just a bit.  But may have done the best thing, anyway.  I may well have been the one who posted what you read.  I have used the paper egg trays with good results.  In most cabinet type incubators, the whole rack, on which the egg trays sit, rotate back and forth.  So the paper trays are used for incubation, as CharlieHorse said.  They should have holes in them for proper air flow, especially when stacked.   

One reason I like them is that they do absorb and hold moisture.  This causes humidity to increase more slowly, when starting a hatch.  But it also slows the humidity loss if the incubator is opened.  If using them, you have two ways to place the eggs in the tray.  Point down is proper, in this case.  I once put three hundred Quail eggs, out of a larger batch, sideways in paper Chukar trays.  The result was almost identical to the rest of the hatch, about 87%.

My incubators have six fans.  If anything, they circulate too much air for game bird eggs.  I don't think they really have "hot spots" but there are areas where eggs tend to hatch a few hours earlier than the rest.  For one thing, the eggs in the lower layers seem to hatch closer to the same time.  The opposite seems to be true for the eggs on the perimeter.

I have hatched eggs by leaving them in place, and leveling the turning racks, the last three days.  I have removed them from trays, and laid them in hatching baskets.  I have removed the paper trays containing eggs, and placed the trays in hatching baskets.  I think having them in the trays is best.  I also think having them stacked while hatching is best.  It is more work to remove the hatched chicks, and restack the eggs, but seems to be worth the effort.

Here are some pictures of different methods.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:54:55 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:51:27 AM »

More

I think having the moist (not wet) paper in contact with the eggs helps, too.  Much like the humid body of the hen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:57:35 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Dean

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »

Did you put those in a carton to hatch?    :-|
[/quote]

This is what I was talking about. http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=82340

I ended up with 15 out of out of 30 hatching 5 were not fertile. out of 15 one was crippled one died in the incubator.
Although maybe not advisable I left the incubator run. after I removed the first 7 chicks at about 20 hours. the dead and cripple were at about 22 hours. Every thing since has been real lively. Thing is Friday was day 21, today is day 25. The last one hatched this after noon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »