Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  Major Incubator Catasthrophe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Major Incubator Catasthrophe  (Read 4728 times)
Purpletaco

« on: May 27, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »

When I went to bed last nite my Kuhl Incubator was working fine.  Temp. 99.5 as it has been for 19 days.  When I woke up the temp was at 70 degrees.  I have no idea how long it was at this temp.   I hurried up and put my 3000 eggs in the bottoms of my GQF's and my hatcher to keep them warm.  I had them back to temp quickly.  My question is this.  Is there any chance that the chicks in the eggs are still alive??  If so do I still have to turn them being on day 19??  I broke a couple of the eggs in the shuffle.  So I checked them out.  The blood was still bright red.  But I couldn't be sure if their was any movement in the chicks.  I thought one moved but I wasn't for sure.    Just curious if any of you have had this problem before.  I was going to build a regular hatching room this spring and keep the temp up so if something like this happened I wouldn't lose my chicks.  But my wife got hospitalized for a month right before hatching season.  So I can't get it done until next year.  What do you guys do to remedy this??

Thanks,
curt
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »

Curt
Have had close to same experience with storms knock out electricity but no where to go with the eggs.
Our night time temp was 75
Cracked door open just a small amount to release gas being released from eggs.
The hatch was set back 3 days .
Hatched 725 out of 1000 Bob White eggs.
They are stronger than i expected with little loss after 2 weeks.
It was a suprise to me i had written off the hatch
Good luck
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
Purpletaco

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

Should I still rotate the eggs at this point.  Today is day 20 and this happened yesterday.

Thanks,
Curt
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:48:25 PM »

Sorry about your luck   uo2  What kind of chicks do you have?  When is scheduled hatch?

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Purpletaco

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »

Ringnecks.  The hatch was scheduled for saturday.

Curt
bobhunter

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:06:31 AM »

I once had a similar experience and everything turned out fine. The hatch may be delayed just a bit.
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:16 PM »

Same thing happened to my first Bob White hatch (x100). I think I posted a pic in the new member section. It was about day 17(ish) and the electricity went off around 2am. Had nowhere to put them and being a newbie, I never opened the incubator to let them breathe. I was fixated on temperature.  ck1 The power wasn't restored until 11am  the next morning.

It was a 94% hatch.  j1

bobhunter

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »

Curt, Sure hope the news is good on your hatch.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »