Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Earliest age
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earliest age  (Read 2160 times)
PSUQuailer

« on: March 18, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »

I am getting ready to brood a batch of bw's. i am going to have a brooder attached to a wire pen outside.  When do you think the earliest is i can let them  outside but still have the ability to go inside in the box.

Ryan S.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

I think it all really depends on location, weather temp.

Here in So. California, Spring, I still wont put out my Bobwhites into my outside brooder until atleast 4weeks. Coturnix variants, at around 2weeks. Basically, when they nicely feathered.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:13:57 AM »

I think it all really depends on location, weather temp.

Here in So. California, Spring, I still wont put out my Bobwhites into my outside brooder until atleast 4weeks. Coturnix variants, at around 2weeks. Basically, when they nicely feathered.

Exactly, I've had mine out as early as 3 weeks, with temps getting down in the 40's. It's not highly recommended. Chances of loosing alot of them are very high.

BUT, mine have a draft free warm "brooder" box to come and go as they please. I'll keep them inside of it, to become acquainted for 3-4 days before opening the small door to the outside. It can be done, yet alot of care must be taken. Bob's will pile on top of each other in a corner at least 40 high, trying to get warm, crushing the ones on the bottom.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »