Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Grass in Quail pens???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grass in Quail pens???  (Read 4937 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: February 24, 2006, 08:09:31 PM »

Ok I plan on makeing a pen that the quail will be on the ground. Should I plant grass in it when I get it built. The pen would be in a shaded area so what kind of grass should I plant ? Thanks for your time.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:52:38 PM »

If you can keep grass growing in a quail pen,  they would love it, but I can't see grass staying long in my quail pen.  I don't know that it would make any difference as to what kind of grass it was as long as it was some kind of "shade" grass as far as getting it to grow. Some don't keep their quail on the ground and some do, and those who do should turn the soil upon occasion to freshen it up to deter disease/sickness, at least I do..........in order to do that, the grass would be futile.  JMO

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 08:30:55 PM »

we plant strips of sudan sorghum in our pens. If you wait until the stalks are good and thick, the sorghum can withstand the quail walking/running/flying through it.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:11:58 AM »

Now that's a good idea, I always had to put quail in my pen before anything had time to really get growing good. I planted a whole mess of stuff in there the first year in one section of the pen and it's never been empty long enough since to get anything to grow.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wvgirl
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:00:05 AM »

There is a mixture of seed/grain that you can buy for turkey/quail from southern states. I plant that in my flight pens in early spring and grass as well. I also have a few tree sprouts that have come up. I just leave them because the quail will eat the leaves. It does not take long for the grass to be gone and it is back to dirt. Quail also need a dusting area. A just dirt area to dust themselves. They usually just make their own place but I usually spade up a corner to keep the grass down in that area.
jk
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »

I tried that one. It looked great in the pheasant pen and quail pen until I put the birds in... it was all either crushed and looked really ugly or they had eaten the tops off of it. It looked great for the first couple of days though. LOL.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 12:54:05 PM »

Each area is 72 sq. ft. and each side for only one pair. The stain is done, wire goes on this spring. Planted dwarf cedar in one side, dwarf mugo pine in the other. Also planted red and black currants in both sides.
The "house" in the back ground has two sides. I have Bobwhite in one side and Valley on the other.
It was built on the inside of an L shape expansion I did for my Amherst.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

I made a rectangular frame out of 2x6 lumber stood on edge. I covered this with 1/2 hardware cloth and this keeps the birds from killing the grass, they just keep it neatly "mowed" where it sticks through the wire. The rest of the pen is similar to a barren desert.....

David
jk
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »

Hey thats a good idea with the 2x6 frame. LOL. My pheasant and bobwhite pens also look like a desert.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:09:20 PM »

I made a rectangular frame out of 2x6 lumber stood on edge. I covered this with 1/2 hardware cloth and this keeps the birds from killing the grass, they just keep it neatly "mowed" where it sticks through the wire. The rest of the pen is similar to a barren desert.....

David

Pure Genius!   ^

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »