Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:09:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  High Humidity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Humidity  (Read 3499 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: June 26, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »

33c today, but what I'm sweating are the Valley chicks due this week end ! She is still sitting. When off the nest, the male gives the other pair proper heck for looking at his girl  :laugh: I think he will be a good Daddy !

Hope all is well with her eggs !

First time for a Valley to set for me......due on Sunday......and the great thing is, I'll be home for it !
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 11:21:31 PM »

Good luck bud and post pictures!

I have a pair out back on a dirted pen. She's been laying under some bushes. Hopefully she follows through and sit on them as well.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

Good luck with your hen ! Also a tip: do not disturb her while on the nest. She may quit. Also, last year I had one make a nest. I took most of the eggs & she never laid another egg in the nest.

Should hatch as early as Friday. Likely Tuesday, as I'll have to return to work......
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »

Good News! :laugh:

I went out today and wadda ya know. My valley hen is sitting on her eggs!(mark my calendar) When she got up to eat, I can see 5 eggs.

I have a question though. Her nest is sort of shallow and there are two eggs that are away from the nest...say 1-2 feet. I noticed her walking up to one and turned it with her beak.(showing compassion) My dilemma is should I put the eggs back in her nest or do they usually roll out eggs from a nest if it is bad or too many? (looks like 5 eggs are more than enough for her)
Thanks all.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:41:49 PM »

I think in this case, mother knows best.  You've charged her with hatching these, so let her call the shots.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 04:48:38 PM »

Thanks gsc.
But the thing is, I don't know if the 2 stray eggs rolled away accidentally or purposely. As I mentioned, the nest is rather shallow. But Im fine just letting it be also. Just curious if birds roll out bad eggs or if too many because she actually walked up and caressed one of the stray eggs and still trys to defend it from other week old chicks in the pen. lol
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:09 PM »

I'm thinking that you should remove the stray eggs. The others have already started, and the strays may end up too far behind the others.

Now for an update in the Brooding and Raising section ...  :laugh:
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 11:35:32 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yea with the stray eggs in the pen, she's torn between sitting on the clutch and defending the strays. I'll have to remove the stray eggs tomorrow since she is sitting at  the moment and dont want to spook her. (there's actually 6 eggs i can see, perhaps more hidden)
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 03:38:44 AM »

bah! Well, I went to go check on her today at sunset and she was not sitting. Looks like she's abandon the nest. :( I have few weeks old chicks in the pen also(her biological kids that I incubated) so that is pretty much the cause. Too many distractions. I will add a nest box for privacy!

Oh well, perhaps next time. I have so many that I incubated from her anyways.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »