Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  which quail should i start with
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: which quail should i start with  (Read 6601 times)
Grant Lipscomb

Personal Text

« on: January 04, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »

Hello all
I plan on raising a few quail for meat, which breed would be the best? Thanks Grant
Lincolnquails

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »

Hi grant, Texas A&M quail & Butler Bobwhite quail make good table birds.
backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

I would strongly recommend checking state and local ordinances first to make sure you don't pick something you are not allowed to have or requiring special licensing or permits. 
That being said I would recommend Jumbo Brown Coturnix quail.  The are easy to sex by color for breeding and are easy to find making them cheaper than some other types.

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »

I agree.  It depends on taste and what you want and can have.  The Bobwhite is a good eating bird but it takes months for them to grow to a proper weight for eating.  The coturnix family matures in 6-8 weeks and most people we sell to prefer them.  They are a dark meat bird compared to bobwhite but takes less time and money to raise them to eat plus nearly every state they are legal to propagate since they are not native or indiginous to that state.

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »

Backyardquail has got it right.

I would strongly recommend checking state and local ordinances first to make sure you don't pick something you are not allowed to have or requiring special licensing or permits. 
That being said I would recommend Jumbo Brown Coturnix quail.  The are easy to sex by color for breeding and are easy to find making them cheaper than some other types.

WV DNR regs states all game birds Bobwhite quail and all sub species, Ring-necked pheasants and all sub species, Chukar and what else that may be out there whether indigenous to WV or not belong the the State of WV.

You must have a State business license before you can apply for a WV DNR game farm license. Call Charleston DNR Law enforcement for the game farm application and for the rules and regs on pen construction. There is paperwork for everything you do with these birds which includes eating them.

Good luck!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »