Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Too many clears from Strictland Gamebird farm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Too many clears from Strictland Gamebird farm  (Read 8317 times)
SportDog

« on: November 30, 2007, 11:33:29 AM »

I ordered 100 BW quail eggs from Strictland Gamebird farm and was very happy with the order process and shipping(no broken eggs and fast shipping)
However out of 100 eggs I had 48 clears.  To me that is unacceptable.

The other 52 are all doing fine and progressing as usual.
bigokie

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »

i just hatched out 326 out of 500 of them.we went through the the big ice storm here an power went out 2 days after i set my eggs an was out 4 days.burned candles in the front of my GQF so some of my problem could have been that but i also seen alot of the eggs were clear.or not fertile at all
finnegan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

Hi i relly do not think 48 out of a 100 on shipped eggs is too bad they boxes could have been banged around in shipping jim
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:33 PM »

I've always had good hatch rates with shipped BW's. Usually 80% and up. If I ever get a low hatch on BW eggs, I would be skeptical. Then again, many factors involved other then shipping. Could be too early in season, first season layers, etc.
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:37:37 PM »

Hi i relly do not think 48 out of a 100 on shipped eggs is too bad they boxes could have been banged around in shipping jim

not bad that just sucks.those eggs should be packed tight enough to withstand bumping and banging.that is a 48% hatch rate how is it not bad????? if we all got 48% hatch rates on shipped eggs we would loose alot of money real quick. j44

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:05:23 PM »

you are right that is not vary good but at the same time packing eggs tight in a box is not always a good thing. if eggs have tight packing around them when the do get a hit during shipping it doesn't allow any give for the eggs. also if you just got the eggs dont forget that the cold this time of year can have a hard affect on eggs - not trying to stick up for them or shoot you down - just stating some facts

~what good are birds without feathers?~
skipper3905

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »

I got the idea that clears are not fertile so no matter how tight packaging or whether hit or not, they are duds.

Anyway, I tried ordering from Strickland today. Website order form not working and tried calling, got answering machine twice during working hours. Sent a email a few minutes ago. All that was before I read these post. Not sure now, 48% is a pretty high dud ratio it seems.

Have read a lot of good reviews on Strickland though.
bobhunter

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:36:00 AM »

My experience with them has been excellent.
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »

if an eggs gets severely "shaken" or stressed from high and low temperatures it can kill the embryo ( through shipping ) ..... so you put the eggs in the incubator wait 14 days and candle them these eggs will candle clear and appear to be infertile.

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »

About 20 years ago I bought some rare VERY expensive turkey eggs,

they were packed well, looked good, all but one hatched.

I found out a year later they had ridden around in the mail carriers car all day, in the late spring, and then reloaded the next morning because she forgot to deliver them with my other mail,  she had them in the rear window "to keep them warm".  And the stupid twit has the gall to giggle when she told about it. Cost me something over $200 for that one Turkey.   s80

Things happen.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »

i've got a feeling that that one didn't get ate for thanksgiving dinner!

bobhunter

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »

I like to see at least an 85% hatch on eggs. There are a lot of variables. I think it would be useful if everyone indicated the hatch rate they have experienced from the different mass suppliers.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:34:10 AM »

I don't hold supplier's too accountable for hatch rates as there are WAY to many places for things to go wrong on my end.  I DO most certainly hold them responsible for fertility...... They may not make it from the bator to the brooder but there darn sure better be evidence that life was at least possible in there.....
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 10:14:15 AM »

I switched and learned to goto someone that cares about your order and not the money. They taught me a lesson just do the opposite and I guess you buy cheap eggs you get cheap eggs. Cold shoulder is not a responce or an answer to help you out is why I try to do the best I can to please but you can't make everyone happy but I TRY.Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »