Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  catching grown quail in pen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: catching grown quail in pen  (Read 5510 times)
canderson

« on: July 19, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

Since I am new, what is the best way to catch or "pen" quail when they are ready to harvest or move for hunting purposes? My flight pen is 12ft by 72 ft.
greyghost
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »

I do it the old fashion way with a net. But, you could "Herd" your birds by walking from one side of the pen to the other. At the end create a funnel type effect with wood or what you have on hand to direct them into your carrier. Ghost.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »

Canderson, Build you a catch cage on the end of your flight pen and walk them in it. something like this.  ty2 Jim
canderson

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion,looks like it will work. Once again, I found the right place to ask my question and get a good prompt answer. Thanks to all of you guys with experience!
bucking-horse

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:33:01 AM »

I have a room at the end off my pen that I put my feeders in to keep then out of the rain.The bird get custom to going in and out to eat.Then when I get ready to catch them I flush them in close the doors It is really dark.On the side I have a small door with a catch pen an a slide up door.The birds willl go to the light out side. work good for me.                                           
                                                                                Chris in southwest ga

chris williams
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »

This is what we build in all of our pens. drop doors on each side the pen is divided down the middle. A walk through door for us to get in and an flip door that we can hand boxes in and out of. Words real well
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/quailfarm7/?action=view&current=catchpen.jpg

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »