Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Coturnix/Japanese Quail Hatch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coturnix/Japanese Quail Hatch  (Read 11056 times)
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« on: May 15, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »

Hey,
Day 17, my eggs have finally hatched........... p42
I have so far about 13 chicks that have hatched and i noticed that more are on their way.
I'm just getting their brooder ready so will put them in a little later, they need their rest after pipping all last night, poor little guys!
I'm just excited and happy that everything is working good so far, although i had 4 chicks unfortunately die after they hatched, and I'm looking into what caused this, i was so upset when i saw this.
I will post pictures later,

birdlover17

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »

:cool:

You'll have to work 10 hrs a day to pay for the feed and things for all those birds won't ya? 

How many hours are you workin' now?  6, 7, 8? 

You're not keepin' them in your sock drawer are ya?  One might crawl up inside of a sock and you won't find it until you put it on and wedge it between your toes.

Please, don't post any pictures of those dead chicks, just the live ones. I'm a bit squeamish.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
GSP4

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »

Congrats! birdlover17
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »

:cool:

You'll have to work 10 hrs a day to pay for the feed and things for all those birds won't ya? 

How many hours are you workin' now?  6, 7, 8? 

You're not keepin' them in your sock drawer are ya?  One might crawl up inside of a sock and you won't find it until you put it on and wedge it between your toes.

Please, don't post any pictures of those dead chicks, just the live ones. I'm a bit squeamish.

..in a stock drawer... s020..no a brooder.
Yeah, i wasn't going to post pictures of the dead chicks, just the live ones. Honestly i do feel sad that they died,they made it through the incubation period and had to die on hatch day, thats terrible  :sad: :sad: dont understand why they died though.

Thanks GSP4..!!!!

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »

Sorry about your loss....but they make GOOD soup!!!!!!!! s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »

Come on thats not funny, were talking about a life here...... s176   

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »

Come on thats not funny, were talking about a life here...... s176   

So does that mean you are going to vote conservative, this November?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:51:01 PM »

went to the feed store today to buy Turkey Starter for the chicks, turns out i have to wait a week or so to get it, any ideas on what i can feed the quail chicks now while i wait?
I know that you can feed bread, eggs, broccoli florets, is there anything else i can give them?

Thanks

CoopVilla
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:49:10 PM »

went to the feed store today to buy Turkey Starter for the chicks, turns out i have to wait a week or so to get it, any ideas on what i can feed the quail chicks now while i wait?
I know that you can feed bread, eggs, broccoli florets, is there anything else i can give them?

Thanks

try this post

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4689.0
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »

Thanks

try this post

Thanks but i was thinking something more readily available.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4689.0

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »

Thanks

Mikie Mikie Mikie

All this time, and all the advice, plus your own experience.  Why would you wait until you have chicks to feed before looking for food?  I live in a rural area where there is a town every 10 miles in any direction.  Each of these towns have one to five feed stores.  I have three vehicles and two trailers at my disposal.  I can afford to, and am able to take off, without notice, drive as far as I need to, and buy 5 pounds, or 5 tons of feed without depending on anyone to allow me, or take me.  Even with these resources at hand, I would never set eggs without feed on hand, let alone wait two to four weeks, then look for feed.  In fact, when I set eggs (500 to 6000),  I always have the feed on hand to feed them to adulthood, in addition to the feed for breeders.  The only exception is when I have some of the birds pre-sold.  Even then, I'll have a few weeks starter on hand, in case something goes wrong.

I realize not everyone has all this so handy.  In that case, it is even more sensible to plan ahead.  It seems to me, you had this situation at least once before.  I know others have posted about suddenly not having feed available.  I'm sure you read every post here, especially pertaining directly to hatching, brooding, health, and feeding.  If not, forget about weather reports from across the country, and try to concentrate.

I'm sure you have your back up, and are hissing like a pussycat, but I hope some day, you'll be able to see straight enough (parden the pun) to learn something.  I really mean learn, not just pay fake ascention (oh, yes, I understand, I should...... to peoples replies).  I realize your environment makes it hard to hear, and accept, instruction.  However, as hard headed as you are, sometimes you have a desire to do good.  If you peruse past posts, you will find people have had much more patience with you than with some who were older than you.  (Mostly, I suppose because you don't try to talk like Ghetto slime).  OK, I chewed you more than I should have, but you really do know better.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:40:44 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »

p.s. I wouldn't have wasted this much effort on others, take that into consideration, before blowing a gasket.

If you can find soybeans and corn, or meal, run some through moms blender when she's occupied.  50% of each, and a little extra soybean.  Dry pinto beans might be good, but I do not have the protein level available, to tell you how to mix.

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »

Thanks

Mikie Mikie Mikie

All this time, and all the advice, plus your own experience.  Why would you wait until you have chicks to feed before looking for food?  I live in a rural area where there is a town every 10 miles in any direction.  Each of these towns have one to five feed stores.  I have three vehicles and two trailers at my disposal.  I can afford to, and am able to take off, without notice, drive as far as I need to, and buy 5 pounds, or 5 tons of feed without depending on anyone to allow me, or take me.  Even with these resources at hand, I would never set eggs without feed on hand, let alone wait two to four weeks, then look for feed.  In fact, when I set eggs (500 to 6000),  I always have the feed on hand to feed them to adulthood, in addition to the feed for breeders.  The only exception is when I have some of the birds pre-sold.  Even then, I'll have a few weeks starter on hand, in case something goes wrong.

I realize not everyone has all this so handy.  In that case, it is even more sensible to plan ahead.  It seems to me, you had this situation at least once before.  I know others have posted about suddenly not having feed available.  I'm sure you read every post here, especially pertaining directly to hatching, brooding, health, and feeding.  If not, forget about weather reports from across the country, and try to concentrate.

I'm sure you have your back up, and are hissing like a pussycat, but I hope some day, you'll be able to see straight enough (parden the pun) to learn something.  I really mean learn, not just pay fake ascention (oh, yes, I understand, I should...... to peoples replies).  I realize your environment makes it hard to hear, and accept, instruction.  However, as hard headed as you are, sometimes you have a desire to do good.  If you peruse past posts, you will find people have had much more patience with you than with some who were older than you.  (Mostly, I suppose because you don't try to talk like Ghetto slime).  OK, I chewed you more than I should have, but you really do know better.

wildergamebirds,
I couldn't thank you enough for writing this post to me.  I'm feeding my chicks something for a few days until i can get the Turkey Starter.  To be honest with you, the last other few chicks i hatched i didn't know where to get there food at a feed store, i just feed them what they would normally eat in the wild, kind of like a natural approach.  I bought them this bag containing insects and such that the birds would find naturally in the wild. It worked find, they couldn't seem to get enough of the crickets and such. I finally found a good feed store near me where i bought all feeds for my birds all except the starter feed, i didn't need it as i didn't hatch any at that time.  I thought that since i could walk in the feed store and take home a bag of the feed the same would be true with all the feeds.  Did not know that for the starter feeds you had to order it in advance, why would they have the layer feeds on hand for people to buy ,but for the starter you have to order it. Well now i know. With this temporary feed they'll just grow slowly, they should be alright, again than you wildergamebirds i will take that post into account and use it wisely. I will post pictures tomorrow of the chicks.

Thanks!!!               

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »

Hey,
Here are the pictures as promised, Enjoy!!

makesmiles

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »

j2

Congrats, birdlover17!  Nice to see a youngster take an interest in things like this!

David

p33
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »