Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:40:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Backwards leg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backwards leg  (Read 3336 times)
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« on: March 08, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »

Have you ever seen a birds leg turn backwards as he grew?  Peeper, a lonely, only baby hatched Oct 14th in the incubator out in the garage. Three of his six older siblings born in early Sept. are fine. The other 3 died when  they were several weeks old. Peeper was born with hammer toes on his left foot, but the right foot seemed fine.
As he grew his right foot/leg started turning. The vet said he was born that way and it didn't start showing up till he really started to grow. Do you think this has anything to do with their Albino daddy or was it the uneven temps in the garage? He's a happy bird that loves to sing when I have music on. Believe it or not, he can get around and  loves to be held.

bobhunter

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 07:57:40 PM »

The bird may have been predisposed to the condition because of a genetic problem, but it would be impossible to know for sure. Since the others turned out okay, it's probably not a dietary problem.
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »

Thanks for your reply. The daddy was lonely (cause his partner had died a long time ago) so we finally put
a regular chuckar in with him. We couldn't find a female Albino locally and was skeptical of mixing them for fear of genetic problems. Tried to post a picture of Peeper but it said it was too large. Do you know what I can do to fix that?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »

Do you know what I can do to fix that?

Fix what?   

The birds leg?.........nothing.

The picture being too big?.........download a program to shrink pictures, there's all kinds of them on the net for free (downloads.com, tucows.com) or some use "photobucket.com" to post their pictures.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »

Thanks for the info, I'll try the .com sites
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »