Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:42:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Winter Wonderland and topflight netting.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Wonderland and topflight netting.  (Read 3370 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: December 12, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »

Winter Wonderland

……………….and the problems associated with wet snow and 1” topflight netting.   With this kind of wet s53 ing snow, this is what causes havoc to top flight netting as far as tares, holes and escaped birds.

When the time comes to do a topflight netting replacement I will go with a 2” netting, and hope for the best, as far as wet snow accumulation. Going out in the flight pen and using a paint roller without the cover and a long handle serves it purpose. The only problem is the roller, being the Rollee  s80  is the one that gets the wet snow bath.

If one should decide and hope that warmer weather will melt the snow, so be it.

If you are using 1” topflight netting in a Snow Belt area and have dry snow you won’t get too much of a problem, all that is needed is a broom. If you have more wet snow then dry, I recommend the 2” topflight netting to elevate the bulk of the snow.

Removable poles or a cable system to lower the topflight netting would also be advisable as well. The birds wouldn’t have any problem negotiating around the pen with the netting lowered, you may though.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »

Winter Wonderland and topflight netting.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

...And Reeves, keep your weather up there we don't need insults to injury here in WV s020

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 12:11:59 PM »

............and No I am not going to take picture to show how this task is done. If you know how to use a paint roller with a broom handle you shold be able to figure it out. It is quite simple.. Just make sure there are no camera's or video equipment around.

Last year, I wound up on my A$$ inside the pen from sliding and I was covered in snow looking like a  s53 snowman.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

Well that sucks.....We got 8 in. of rain in 1 day...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

Too much space between roof supports.
One thing you could do is run some galvanized 9ga wire in a couple directions to help support the roof netting.
Cost would not be too bad.
There are several types of wire tensioners you can use on one end of the wire to tighten it as it stretches over the years.

You'll still have to move snow, but you'll not have cave-ins.

I too get wet snow here. But I have wire and the biggest roof areas are 6'x6'. Still have to use the broom though...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »